Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Children's Day In Japan? May 5th

Children's Day In Japan? May 5th

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Children's Day In Japan? May 5th

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Sun 04.24.2011 5:38 pm

Hi,
I popped into the Japan Centre, London yesterday and discovered that it is the National Children's Day Festival in Japan on May 5th. What ideas (apart from food, because I picked up the leaflet on rice sweets) can you give me?
I am a stay at home Mum, studying Japanese for pleasure and I have a 2-yr old son who loves colouring in and playing games. I think this would be a fun way of learning some more japanese words 97 perhaps kanji) while looking after my son and possibly entertaining some other local toddlers with other stay at home Mums locally.
All suggestions and web links welcome.
The EnglishKnitter
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Re: Children's Day In Japan? May 5th

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 04.25.2011 9:19 pm

The big thing on Children's day is Koi-nobori or carp streamers. These are beautiful streamers that look like carp; usually in red, green, blue and black, they represent a wish for children to grow up big and strong. It might be fun for your kids to make some streamers themselves either from paper or cloth. Here is a link to some koi-nobori to color.

Also, check out wikipedia for more info. Children's Day
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Tue 04.26.2011 10:36 am

Thank you for the link. I will print off the pictures and look for some japanese words for fish and Koi and underwater for me to learn and I can teach my son the english words.

I tried to buy the cool looking flags but they were £10. per fish on amazon, so I think we might make some cotton streamers and tie them to the fire escape.

I'm trying to learn Japanese to keep me sane while being a stay at home Mum, activities like this beat CBeebies daily TV entertainment hands down, plus I get something out of it too!
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Postby mariucha77 » Wed 04.27.2011 4:47 pm

Englishknitter,
I like your ideas! I'm a SAHM too and since my oldest seems very interested in Japanese when he sees me studying I think it would be something nice to do something like this together.
Thanks!
mariucha77

Native language: Spanish, Italian

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan