Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Konnanichiwa!

Konnanichiwa!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Konnanichiwa!

Postby n3ko x3r4h » Wed 12.21.2005 12:51 pm

Konnanichiwa, everyone!! Watashi wa Neko Xerah desu. And, that's about all I know of a sentence in Japanese. That's why I came here, so I could learn Japanese. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun, too.

Konbanwa!!

Sincerely,

Neko Xerah
n3ko x3r4h

RE: Konnanichiwa!

Postby Capt_Barbarian » Wed 12.21.2005 5:55 pm

It's neither.

The proper way to spell it is: Konnichiha.
And the proper way to spell: Konbanha

There is a rule for writing hiragana "wa" and "ha." When "wa" is used as a particle, it is written in hiragana as "ha." "Konnichiwa" is now a fixed greeting. However, in the old days it was a part of sentence such as "Today is ~ (Konnichi wa ~)" and "wa" functioned as a particle. That's why it is still written in hiragana as "ha."

Got that from About.com lol
Last edited by Capt_Barbarian on Wed 12.21.2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt_Barbarian

Postby mandolin » Wed 12.21.2005 6:09 pm

Don't force a particular romanization style on people.

When romanizing, the writer can choose to write it phonetically (and would therefore be pronounced correctly by a reader) or it can be written according to the kana that would be produced (and therefore be written correctly if someone begins writing in japanese).

There are plusses and minuses to both styles, and there are micro-variations of each. One is called Hepburn shiki and the other is Kunrei shiki. Neither are wrong.

Chances are this topic will go into a general debate as to whether romanization should be used at all, but honestly that isn't the point here.

konnanichiwa is incorrect, but konnichiwa is correct. So is konnichiha.

In japanese, only こんにちは is correct.
mandolin

Postby Zeo » Wed 12.21.2005 6:35 pm

Hello and welcome to this site ;)

And as Mandolin said, we say 「konnichiWA」 But we write 「こんにちは」 :)
The romaji just make poeple confused the way I see it:p

But most important, have fun learning japanese Neko Xerah, and feel free to post questions here in the forums;)

- Zeo
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby i_like_potatoes » Wed 12.21.2005 7:40 pm

mandolin wrote:
Don't force a particular romanization style on people.

When romanizing, the writer can choose to write it phonetically (and would therefore be pronounced correctly by a reader) or it can be written according to the kana that would be produced (and therefore be written correctly if someone begins writing in japanese).

There are plusses and minuses to both styles, and there are micro-variations of each. One is called Hepburn shiki and the other is Kunrei shiki. Neither are wrong.

Chances are this topic will go into a general debate as to whether romanization should be used at all, but honestly that isn't the point here.

konnanichiwa is incorrect, but konnichiwa is correct. So is konnichiha.

In japanese, only こんにちは is correct.

And, I can offer a reasoning for the difference. In the word こんにちは, the は is the particle. It used to be pronounced ha long ago, but over time as the language evolved, it became easier to say wa. So, if you spell it konnichiwa it is simply honoring the particle and shwoing current pronunciation. ^_^
I try my best...
i_like_potatoes

Postby mandolin » Wed 12.21.2005 8:56 pm

it doesn't exist...
mandolin

Postby AJBryant » Wed 12.21.2005 10:10 pm

And, I can offer a reasoning for the difference. In the word こんにちは, the は is the particle. It used to be pronounced ha long ago, but over time as the language evolved, it became easier to say wa. So, if you spell it konnichiwa it is simply honoring the particle and shwoing current pronunciation. ^_^

Actually, not so. The kana は was, in olden times, pronounced /ha/ or /wa/ depending on its placement in a word or function in a sentence. For example, the classical orthography for river was not かわ but かは.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby n3ko x3r4h » Thu 12.22.2005 6:15 pm

O! Well, seriously, thank you for telling me the difference. I thought it was "konnanichiwa" bcuz I was reading this page with Japanese words on it that my friend got, and it said when you say "konichiwa" with an Osaka accent, it was "konnanichiwa." But, I guess that was just the way you pronounced it, not spelled it. Oh well. Now I know how to spell it right. Thankx!
Last edited by n3ko x3r4h on Thu 12.22.2005 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n3ko x3r4h

Return to Introductions