Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pronunciation?

Pronunciation?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Pronunciation?

Postby mgb20 » Fri 05.13.2011 5:29 pm

Hi there just have a quick question but before I get to that I just want to say I can somewhat read Japanese and know all of Hiragana and most of the Kana and very few Kanji.I just have trouble with saying it out loud thoroughly or fluently I guess.I can only go slow when saying the sentences out loud.

My question:Is there any helpful practice methods to help build a strong tongue?

Sry if this sounds like a stupid question :blush:
mgb20

Native language: english

Re: Pronunciation?

Postby micahcowan » Fri 05.13.2011 7:30 pm

I'd recommend getting some beginning Japanese audio sources to listen to, so you can become comfortable how it sounds. Maybe the conversational Pimsleur or something.

One thing I really like about "Learn Japanese: A New College Text" (by John Young and Kimiko Nakajima-Okano) is that it has a heavy focus on drills and patterns. It dedicates a large portion of the book to reading passages aloud, and then transforming what you just said by feeding you one word to use in a transformed sentence; that sort of thing. I think that's really helpful in developing an ability to form spoken sentences well.

If your struggle isn't so much in forming sentences, but in reading written sentences aloud, then your best bet is lots and lots of practice. Perhaps your kana books had some practice exercises; work on those continuously until you can read them fluidly; and consider buying some additional kana books if it looks like they focus fairly heavily on reading practice.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Re: Pronunciation?

Postby mgb20 » Sat 05.14.2011 3:03 am

Ok thanks for the advice!
mgb20

Native language: english

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems