Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ~shinakerebanarimasen

~shinakerebanarimasen

Do you have a translation question?

~shinakerebanarimasen

Postby Tiyok » Sat 05.14.2011 4:18 am

Ah, I think this is needed for translating too

I just found that ~SHINAKUCYA is also the same with ~SHINAKEREBANARIMASEN.
Is there still many of them? Please share.

Thank you.
Tiyok

Native language: Indonesian

Re: ~shinakerebanarimasen

Postby micahcowan » Sat 05.14.2011 6:41 pm

Well, you can say they have pretty much the same meaning, but SHINAKUCHA* is not a short version of SHINAKEREBA NARIMASEN; it's a short form of SHINAKUTE WA NARIMASEN (or IKEMASEN, DAME).

SHINAKUTE WA NARIMASEN -> SHINAKUTE WA [leave the rest blank] -> SHINAKUCHA.

* CHA seems like a more normal way to romanize ちゃ... You can write it CHA or TYA, but not CYA (and CHA matches the SHI better; TYA goes with SI)

-TE WA -> CHA and -DE WA -> JA are very common (unofficial) contractions. The final NARANAI (never NARIMASEN; too formal for having contracted the words preceding it), IKENAI or DAME aren't always omitted (and the contraction is used outside of those patterns, too), and you may also see NARANAI shortened to NARAN (ならん).

Similarly, -TE SHIMAU/SHIMATTA, -DE SHIMAU/SHIMATTA are frequently seen as CHAU/CHATTA, JAU/JATTA. An example would be Ling Xiaoyu saying 「あら! かっちゃった!」 ("ARA! KATCHATTA!") in Tekken 5. KATCHATTA is KATTE (from KATSU 勝つ, "to win") SHIMATTA ("to do completely", usually used in a negative sense that one messed up by doing something they hadn't meant to do, or that someone else did something that had a negative impact). "Whoops! I accidentally won the whole match (sorry)!"

You can find a lit of various colloquial Japanese contractions at http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Japanese_colloquial_contractions
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion