Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - もう日本語を勉強する気が出ません。

もう日本語を勉強する気が出ません。

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

もう日本語を勉強する気が出ません。

Postby xhilononi234 » Sat 05.21.2011 3:46 am

一年間ぐらい、日本語をあまり勉強していません。大学で授業を取りましたが、何も新しいことを習いませんでしたけど。新しい語彙を二十だけ習ったと思っていますけど。じゃあ、何もならなかったのよりいいですね。今、日本語を勉強する気が出ないがまだ勉強し続けたいんです。でも、出さないりゆうが分かりません。日本語の音楽を聞いたり、新しいアニメを見たり、ただ机のいすに座って勉強したりせようとしましたけど、だめでした。そちらは日本語の勉強する気が進まない時には何をしますか。まだどうすればいいか知りません。
新しい目的だけ要りますけど。

Here's the English for what I just wrote in Japanese (in case my Japanese is hard to understand since it's been so long since I've seriously studied).

I haven't been studying Japanese for year. I've taken courses at my school, but I don't feel like I've learned anything new. I think I've only learned about twenty new vocabulary words. But, I guess that's better than nothing. Now, I don't feel like continuing to study Japanese, but I still want to learn it. I don't know why. I've tried listening to Japanese music, watching new Anime, and just sitting down at my desk and studying but nothing has worked. Maybe I just need a new goal?
xhilononi234

Re: もう日本語を勉強する気が出ません。

Postby micahcowan » Tue 05.24.2011 12:51 am

I think I know what you're saying. Studying Japanese often feels like far too much work for the little ground gained. A lot would be improved if courses aligned themselves at a more gradual pace, where you could just pick up new little things as you read along (but then, the number of books in a series like that would be staggering, if they also covered significant ground).

You might be helped by checking out http://alljapaneseallthetime.com, which focuses heavily on immersion, and not so much on study (though study - drilling, mainly - is definitely part of their recommendations).

The site has some excellent advice, and some (IMO) less-than-excellent advice. There are an overwhelming number of articles, most of which sing the same song a different way; I'd recommend you start at the "table of contents" to the site, and skip around to the most important-looking bits in there.

Hope that helps! Hang in there.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 05.24.2011 7:13 am

micahcowan wrote:I think I know what you're saying. Studying Japanese often feels like far too much work for the little ground gained.

Hope that helps! Hang in there.

+1

I've had the same feeling lately. I was busy finishing my Uni degree but now that it's done I still haven't mustered much enthusiasm to the get the ball rolling again. I'm not worried though, it's just a hobby and I know I will be at it soon again.

http://www.pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
There is truth in this linguistic yarn; Chinese does deserve its reputation for heartbreaking difficulty. Those who undertake to study the language for any other reason than the sheer joy of it will always be frustrated by the abysmal ratio of effort to effect. Those who are actually attracted to the language precisely because of its daunting complexity and difficulty will never be disappointed. Whatever the reason they started, every single person who has undertaken to study Chinese sooner or later asks themselves "Why in the world am I doing this?" Those who can still remember their original goals will wisely abandon the attempt then and there, since nothing could be worth all that tedious struggle. Those who merely say "I've come this far -- I can't stop now" will have some chance of succeeding, since they have the kind of mindless doggedness and lack of sensible overall perspective that it takes.

I've got a same feeling about Japanese :)
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby micahcowan » Tue 05.24.2011 6:14 pm

"I've come this far -- I can't stop now" is exactly right. I may have spent years studying the language, and not getting as far as I'd like; but it'll never be worth anything if I just stop now, short of having an actual, usable level of skill.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby xhilononi234 » Sun 05.29.2011 2:38 am

Thanks! And also, that quote does really apply since I happen to be in a Chinese immersion program right now...
xhilononi234

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips