Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Look what I found!

Look what I found!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Look what I found!

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Sun 05.22.2011 9:21 am

I just thought this was cool. It may not be very impressive to those who live in japan. But living in the US, I don't see that many japanese things. So my dad brought home a package with lots of japanese writing on it. Then I saw this on it:

I'm terrible at kanji, but I thought I knew what it meant, I was right:
http://imgur.com/a/Huz04

The above is an image gallery of what I took pictures of. It's nihonshu (sake). It annoys me that my dad calls it "saki", it's not pronounced that way....

Anyway, just thought I'd share. It came with 3 bottles of nihonshu, each with different labels, and 2 small glasses. I've taken pictures of pretty much everything. Just thought this was a neat find!
ダラゴスちゃん

Native language: 英語

Re: Look what I found!

Postby phreadom » Sun 05.22.2011 4:03 pm

Awesome! :D I definitely know the feeling. ;) I have a little collection of things with Japanese writing. ;) You don't see it much up here in Michigan in the US. :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Thu 05.26.2011 3:08 am

ダラゴスちゃん wrote:I just thought this was cool. It may not be very impressive to those who live in japan. But living in the US, I don't see that many japanese things. So my dad brought home a package with lots of japanese writing on it. Then I saw this on it:

I'm terrible at kanji, but I thought I knew what it meant ......

Well done, a light bulb moment :dance:

I'm not in Japan but I see Japanese things all the time. Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishis, Mazdas, Nissans ...... :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Thu 05.26.2011 10:39 am

Well cars. Yeah you'll see them a lot :p
ダラゴスちゃん

Postby TJack » Thu 05.26.2011 6:50 pm

ダラゴスちゃん wrote:The above is an image gallery of what I took pictures of. It's nihonshu (sake). It annoys me that my dad calls it "saki", it's not pronounced that way....

Your dad says "socky" too? My dad and I was in a liquor shop and I said "hey look sake" "Sake? You mean socky". "No..sake" We kept going back and forth through this and I brought up "who's studying Japanese here??" He didn't change his mind and I threw up my hands in frustration and dropped it. Nothing seemed to work :P
TJack

Postby micahcowan » Thu 05.26.2011 7:46 pm

TJack wrote:Your dad says "socky" too? My dad and I was in a liquor shop and I said "hey look sake" "Sake? You mean socky". "No..sake" We kept going back and forth through this and I brought up "who's studying Japanese here??" He didn't change his mind and I threw up my hands in frustration and dropped it. Nothing seemed to work :P

We do the same thing with the word "karate", too. All except for some actual students of karate (and of course, students of Japanese); English speakers usually say kur-RAH-dee.

When I was like 18 or something, there was news about a comet named Hyakutake. You can bet everyone was butchering that one ("High-akoo-talkee"). :roll:
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby chikara » Fri 05.27.2011 12:23 am

TJack wrote:
ダラゴスちゃん wrote:The above is an image gallery of what I took pictures of. It's nihonshu (sake). It annoys me that my dad calls it "saki", it's not pronounced that way....

Your dad says "socky" too? .....

No, his dad says "saki", not "socky". :?

Most English speakers I hear say saki (sar-kee).

micahcowan wrote:We do the same thing with the word "karate", too. All except for some actual students of karate (and of course, students of Japanese); English speakers usually say kur-RAH-dee. ....

They do? :shock:

Most English speakers I hear say kar-rar-tee and some even say kar-rar-tay. My karate club say kar-rar-tee but then yame is yar-may and hajime is har-jee-may. :blush:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Fri 05.27.2011 12:29 am

It gets annoying when people butcher perfectly good words. I guess people don't realize that in nihongo, everything is pronounced the way it's spelt, syllable for syllable.
ダラゴスちゃん

Postby TJack » Fri 05.27.2011 1:37 am

chikara wrote:Most English speakers I hear say saki (sar-kee).

Really, as Sar-kee?! I think I'd go crazy if I heard it like that. I only heard as saki/socky (I assumed ダラゴスちゃん dad pronounced it as saw-kee, which is how I hear it around here)
TJack

Postby chikara » Fri 05.27.2011 1:45 am

TJack wrote:..... Really, as Sar-kee?! I think I'd go crazy if I heard it like that. I only heard as saki/socky (I assumed ダラゴスちゃん dad pronounced it as saw-kee, which is how I hear it around here)

I've never been to Tennessee but it doesn't surprise me that you hear saw-kee around those parts. :)

So how do they say sayonara (さよなら) in your part of the world? Does that sound like saw-yo-naw-raw?
chikara

Postby SakeIt2Me » Fri 05.27.2011 11:43 am

Nice find! I find Japanese writing in three places generally: the superstore grocery section, the liquor mart, and small asian grocery stores.
But at the very least you can always read the writing on sheets of foam packing material. It's just not that pretty to keep around on your shelf!
Maybe I will meet you one day, maybe Wednesday, maybe not...not
SakeIt2Me

Native language: English

Postby TJack » Fri 05.27.2011 4:12 pm

chikara wrote:
TJack wrote:..... Really, as Sar-kee?! I think I'd go crazy if I heard it like that. I only heard as saki/socky (I assumed ダラゴスちゃん dad pronounced it as saw-kee, which is how I hear it around here)

I've never been to Tennessee but it doesn't surprise me that you hear saw-kee around those parts. :)

So how do they say sayonara (さよなら) in your part of the world? Does that sound like saw-yo-naw-raw?

Yeah real quick like too, without the elongated yo sound. Is it the same for Australia?
TJack

Postby furrykef » Fri 05.27.2011 5:07 pm

TJack wrote:Really, as Sar-kee?! I think I'd go crazy if I heard it like that.

Do remember that chikara is Australian, though, and probably imagines "sar-kee" as a completely different sound from what we Americans imagine. ;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby micahcowan » Tue 05.31.2011 3:56 pm

chikara wrote:Most English speakers I hear say saki (sar-kee).

micahcowan wrote:We do the same thing with the word "karate", too. All except for some actual students of karate (and of course, students of Japanese); English speakers usually say kur-RAH-dee. ....

They do? :shock:

Most English speakers I hear say kar-rar-tee and some even say kar-rar-tay. My karate club say kar-rar-tee but then yame is yar-may and hajime is har-jee-may. :blush:

I suspect that's specific to your locale. I notice that both Australians and certain British accents tend to add arbitrary Rs after As in some circumstances. I've never heard an North-American accent do that, though.

There are a couple words in particular that stick out to me with that "ar" pronunciation when I hear it, but for some reason they don't come to mind right now.

BTW, on "socky" vs "saki"; in America I think those would sound identical. Unless the "a" of "saki" is meant to have more of the sound as in "at"... almost towards "sacky".
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby tuber97 » Tue 05.31.2011 7:05 pm

Another one like that that I've heard is "Moe-key" for mochi. A few years ago a neighbor asked if I wanted some "moe-key". I had no idea what they were talking about until I saw it.
お前の魂をいただくよ。
tuber97

Native language: English (US) 米語

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion