Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Okay, please some enlightment about this phrase

Okay, please some enlightment about this phrase

Do you have a translation question?

Okay, please some enlightment about this phrase

Postby assana2207 » Mon 05.30.2011 1:33 am

Ok this is an email from a japanese customer to my boss.

年を重ねた分,本当に良く人脈を抑えています.
so my understanding of 年を重ねた分=Over the years. I this right?

So the translation for this sentence in English..

Over the years, I really have kept a lot of important contacts

Can someone help me?
よろしくお願いいたします
assana2207

Native language: indonesian

Re: Okay, please some enlightment about this phrase

Postby NileCat » Wed 06.01.2011 3:33 pm

年を重ねた分
It usually means something like “at my/your/their age” referring to “I/you/they am/are aged but there is a good thing (advantage) about it”. In this context, the good thing of that is that I/you/they have built up good relationship on business.
人脈を抑える
It is a kind of business term. It usually means that the person have an influence over some important people. It can refer to the Machiavellism-ish power game at times.

The sentence sounds very polite. I personally don’t think the writer is referring to himself because he uses the word 本当に. The sentence sounds like the writer is praising the man and it is unusual to praise oneself in this kind of sentence using the word 本当にin our culture. But I don’t think the hidden subject is “you”. If it is “you”, the sentence would sound kind of rude because it begins with “you are aged”.

So, I assume the writer is referring to the third party. (his staff or boss, possibly) The translation would be (meaning-wise):
“For he is seasoned, he has a very good network”
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: Okay, please some enlightment about this phrase

Postby micahcowan » Thu 06.02.2011 6:01 pm

NileCat wrote:So, I assume the writer is referring to the third party. (his staff or boss, possibly) The translation would be (meaning-wise):
“For he is seasoned, he has a very good network”

Small nit: "For he is seasoned" should be "Because" or "Since he is seasoned". "For", when it introduces an explanation, always comes after the thing being explained (so, it'd be okay if it had been "He has a very good network of business relationships, for he is seasoned", though for some reason that still sounds slightly odd to me; I'd end that sentence with "..., being seasoned" instead. Anyway).

That probably makes "for" somewhat comparable to Japanese ん・の です, etc. ?
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion