Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to protect my textbook?

How to protect my textbook?

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

How to protect my textbook?

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Tue 05.31.2011 7:06 am

Hey,

Well I just got my textbook a few days ago, but I'll be carrying it around, I want to protect it from too much damage. Does anyone know a service that makes paperback books into hardcovers? Or makes hardcovers for paperbacks?
ダラゴスちゃん

Native language: 英語

Re: How to protect my textbook?

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 06.02.2011 10:12 pm

It already has a book cover slip on it... that should protect it for the most part. Anything that would damage the book (with the cover slip over it) would also likely damage a hard cover book's spine, so I wouldn't worry. :wink:
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Fri 06.03.2011 8:34 am

Sticky back plastic?
available at Rymans/ WHSmiths or other regular stationery stores.
Gosh that takes me back, I went through a girly phase of covering all my text books - more's the pity they lasted years!

You could cut out printed images and add them inside the cover to make it look nice - I used pressed flowers to make my standard text books look sweeter, but you could be cooler than me and use manga type images.
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 06.03.2011 1:58 pm

Here's the DIY:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Paperback-Book-With-Clear-Plastic-Film

You can learn in it even in adult age, I'm a living proof of it.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Fri 06.03.2011 3:22 pm

Heh. I just made a little 'prototype' hardcover for my textbook. Problem is that the paperback cover that is attached to the text block that in turn is attached to the hardcover isn't very flexible. So I'm buying some bookboard, some book tape (that attaches the 3 bookboard pieces) and some of that paper that goes over the bookboard. I'm also scanning the dustcover and later the paperback cover (which I will remove by dissolving the adhesives that attach it to the book). So I'm pretty much converting the paperback to a text block and from there into a nice hardcover copy of genki :). After I attach everything, I'm printing out the dust cover on some glossy paper (longer than letter size of course ;)) and then folding it accordingly. I don't think there are hardcover copies of genki, but I think it's a good project. I'll be cool to see how it comes out :)
ダラゴスちゃん

Native language: 英語

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 06.06.2011 3:57 pm

Post pictures when you're done? That'd be cool
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Return to Genki Textbook