Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - To call = to read in japanese??

To call = to read in japanese??

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

To call = to read in japanese??

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 06.08.2011 1:09 am

So, wow. I'm finally starting to understanding EXACTLY WHY japanese is supposed to contain the most homonyms in the languages of today...

following the "mu nu bu" rule of conjugation

yobu= yonde
yomu=yonde

:doh:

Ok, so why did I bring that up you ask? Well, I was studying for jlpt using old tests, and one sentence said "Please call me a taxi."

I thought, no problem:

タクシーをかけてください。
I checked my answer, and instead it used よんでください。
So, my real question is, in what context can I use ”かける”for phone calls and in what context does it HAVE to be よぶ?  Because I'd much rather avoid homonyms when I can, so am I able to avoid it?
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: To call = to read in japanese??

Postby NileCat » Wed 06.08.2011 12:34 pm

Maybe the following sentence would tell you the concepts of the two different words.
“でんわをかけて、タクシーをよんでください”

でんわ = telephone
でんわをかける = to make a telephone call
タクシーをよぶ = to call a taxi = to summon a taxi (by making a telephone call)
:)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby micahcowan » Wed 06.08.2011 3:46 pm

Shiroisan wrote:So, my real question is, in what context can I use ”かける”for phone calls and in what context does it HAVE to be よぶ?  Because I'd much rather avoid homonyms when I can, so am I able to avoid it?

I'm not convinced that's a worthwhile pursuit. You're better off using whatever is a common, natural expression in Japanese. There's plenty of ways to say something "correctly", while still sounding very strange (this is as true in English as it is in Japanese).

I haven't personally seen かける used in that fashion outside of textbooks, so I don't have much of a sample set to compare against. However, when I have seen it in textbooks, it's always preceded by でんわを. I don't know that that's always the case, but I think it's primarily used when "making a phone call" is the interesting part of the sentence, and you want to specifically refer to using the phone to do something.

Think about it in English: do you say, "I'm going to make a phone call to get you a taxi", or do you say, "I'll call you a cab"? :)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 06.08.2011 6:57 pm

Cool, ty micah

NileCat wrote:Maybe the following sentence would tell you the concepts of the two different words.
“でんわをかけて、タクシーをよんでください”

でんわ = telephone
でんわをかける = to make a telephone call
タクシーをよぶ = to call a taxi = to summon a taxi (by making a telephone call)
:)

This was extremely helpful Nileさん, my textbook thoroughly reviewed those kind of sentences so I can kind of tell how it's best used now :D
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.09.2011 4:47 pm

micahcowan wrote:Think about it in English: do you say, "I'm going to make a phone call to get you a taxi", or do you say, "I'll call you a cab"? :)

Thing is, though it's not linguistically clear, "to call a cab" means to HAIL a cab, as in, grab one from the street. If you have to call the cab company, you are calling FOR a cab, and that's a different kind of call. In English, we have the same word for both, but in Japanese they have a different word for each function. YOBU is "to hail (a cab)", and KAKERU is "to call (the office to order a cab)."
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby burstandbloom » Mon 06.13.2011 5:42 am

AJBryant wrote:Thing is, though it's not linguistically clear, "to call a cab" means to HAIL a cab, as in, grab one from the street. If you have to call the cab company, you are calling FOR a cab, and that's a different kind of call. In English, we have the same word for both, but in Japanese they have a different word for each function. YOBU is "to hail (a cab)", and KAKERU is "to call (the office to order a cab)."

Thumbs up explanation.

Side note,
Not just limited to taxis though:
警察を呼ぶ (to call the police) or「警察に電話しする、警察に通報する」
救急車を呼ぶ (to call an ambulance) etc.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems