Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best areas of Tokyo, and where to study

Best areas of Tokyo, and where to study

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Best areas of Tokyo, and where to study

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 06.16.2011 6:48 pm

Hi everyone.

So I've decided to try language immersion as my method of study, and study in Japan in one of their highly acclaimed Japanese Language Insitutions. The various schools run from 3 to 6 hours per day, are for University credit, and are taught entirely in Japanese alone.

The main school I was thinking of going to was KCP International; it sounds like a fantastic program with great teachers, and has an interesting Culture expedition/lesson on Saturdays.

However, my information is based off the random schools I managed to find off the internet alone. Does anyone know what some of the best Language institutions (that can be used for university credit) are in Japan?

Also, I couldn't help but notice that KCP was located in Shinjuku. I've been told by others that Shinjuku is on the worse side of districts to stay while in Tokyo/Japan. Mostly a busy business district, no? What are some of the better districts in Tokyo and/or the rest of Japan in terms of culture, community, and entertainment?

Thanks to all who reply!
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: Best areas of Tokyo, and where to study

Postby Shiroisan » Fri 06.17.2011 7:32 pm

Man, I wish this place was more active. :-|
Shiroisan

Postby phreadom » Sat 06.18.2011 4:04 am

While your post has had almost 90 views so far... I'm not sure how many individuals that actually represents, nor how many of them were able to view it within the 24 hours you gave before complaining. I also would hazard a guess that not many people are probably able to answer your question, such as myself, and thus really don't have anything to contribute unfortunately. :(

Perhaps you could give it a little time for someone who actually has the knowledge and desire to help to get around to possibly replying?

I would if I could, but I can't. ごめんなさい :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sat 06.18.2011 2:19 pm

Planning on doing this soon? Started obtaining all the necessary documents to enter into Japan? It is no quick process. Is this something through a University you are already attending? Old Dominion University - Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures - Japanese Studies - Sumitomo Scholarship as an example. Is attending outside of Tokyo an option?
血まみれ剣術師

Native language: English

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 06.18.2011 2:43 pm

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Planning on doing this soon? Started obtaining all the necessary documents to enter into Japan? It is no quick process. Is this something through a University you are already attending?

Yeah I'm trying to plan far in advance because I've heard you have to go through a lot. Not to mention saving up cash! I want to start between June and October of next year. The longest process I have to go through is applying for a student visa, correct? I heard that takes up to 6 months. The website says that the University of Washington accepts credits from KCP, and that this option would work for students who aren't actually attending U of W.

Useful links, thanks. BTW if you know of any other scholarship opportunities for Japanese language studies I'd love to hear as I'm still looking. Can't really find any non-exclusive scholarships that are open to not just Americans but Canadians as well. MEXT might work, except I'm not sure if a language institution counts as a "Japanese University", even though they are affiliated with universities and hand out credits.

Is attending outside of Tokyo an option?

I would totally consider it, my main concern is finding a good institution! But location and peers are a close second.
Shiroisan

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sun 06.19.2011 2:01 am

Last edited by 血まみれ剣術師 on Mon 07.04.2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
血まみれ剣術師

Postby spin13 » Wed 06.22.2011 1:08 am

As I've never attended a Japanese language school I can't give you advice about that. Having talked with those who have, however, it's worth noting that one of the more common complaints is that many schools/classes are paced for native speakers of Korean and Chinese, both of whom have significant advantages over the average westerner. Best to find out before you go.

I'm curious as to why people told you Shinjuku is "on the worse side of districts" in Tokyo? Shinjuku Ward ranges from skyscrapers (West Shinjuku) to nightlife (Kabukicho) to ethnic (Korean town in Shinokubo) to college town (Takadanobaba). Which part of Shinjuku were they thinking of? Even just discussing the area surrounding Shinjuku Station, it varies greatly depending on which side of the station you are on. If you're concerned about the KCP's school's location, Shinjuku Gyoen-mae is a nice enough area.

Tokyo is a small enough city packed with enough stuff that as long as you're in the 23 Special Wards, you'll be close enough to just about everything. Even some of the areas outside the 23 Special Wards can be convenient. From there it's a matter of balancing cost with how much you're willing to commute.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 06.23.2011 1:20 am

spin13 wrote:As I've never attended a Japanese language school I can't give you advice about that. Having talked with those who have, however, it's worth noting that one of the more common complaints is that many schools/classes are paced for native speakers of Korean and Chinese, both of whom have significant advantages over the average westerner. Best to find out before you go.

I'm curious as to why people told you Shinjuku is "on the worse side of districts" in Tokyo? Shinjuku Ward ranges from skyscrapers (West Shinjuku) to nightlife (Kabukicho) to ethnic (Korean town in Shinokubo) to college town (Takadanobaba). Which part of Shinjuku were they thinking of? Even just discussing the area surrounding Shinjuku Station, it varies greatly depending on which side of the station you are on. If you're concerned about the KCP's school's location, Shinjuku Gyoen-mae is a nice enough area.

Tokyo is a small enough city packed with enough stuff that as long as you're in the 23 Special Wards, you'll be close enough to just about everything. Even some of the areas outside the 23 Special Wards can be convenient. From there it's a matter of balancing cost with how much you're willing to commute.

Well I'm glad to hear at least one person thinks it's nice enough :D . I've been told that for the reason of "business/commercial orientated, congested city" as opposed to a cultural utopia with parks and stuff.

It seems all the best schools seem to have high numbers of Chinese and Korean students. However, I think you may be wrong when you say that they have significant advantages over us. In terms of writing kanji, sure Chinese students will breeze through, but they'll have no advantages in the spoken language. As English students we have the advantage of using katakana words as if they were our native language- cuz they basically are! And lucky for us there are a LOT of these words :3. Koreans have the advantage in terms of grammar rules... Yeah, I admit that one is a pretty big advantage. But their words and writing are not at all similar to Japanese, right?
Shiroisan

Postby wasekuri » Wed 04.18.2012 3:07 am

these guys really helped me out when i was looking for a language school in tokyo.

http://www.gogonihon.com

through them i applied to ISI language school and it's been great thus far!
wasekuri

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan