Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hi everyone!

Postby Nynaeve » Wed 06.29.2011 12:17 pm

Hello!

I thought I'd better introduce myself here too, to get a good start! :wink:
I'm a 20-year-old girl from Norway who has been mesmerized and facinated by Japan for many years. I've always been very interested in languages, and try to learn as many as I can. Lately it's been bugging me that I haven't yet done a wholeheartedly attempt in learning Japanese. Mostly because the writing seems insanely difficult... But when I found this site, it just motivated me so with the easy way of explaining things, and now I'm really up for it! I have memorized the five first Hiragana today, and tomorrow there will be a few more.

The people behind this site really deserves some credit, because this is an ingenious way of learning! So thank you very much :)
I'll work hard!
Nynaeve

Native language: Norwegian

Re: Hi everyone!

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 06.29.2011 1:22 pm

Nice to meet you :) I'm sure joining the TJP community will bring you a lot of support over the years you spend studying Japanese, as it has done for me.

Welcome, and see you around :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby micahcowan » Wed 06.29.2011 1:39 pm

Welcome to TJP!

Like you, I've always had a fascination with languages, particularly non-European ones. I've dabbled in the past with a little Spanish, Russian, Norwegian (men jeg snakker ikke; I only dabbled a tiny bit), Mandarin, and Biblical Greek and Hebrew (I've forgotten most of all of these, but little tidbits remain). Japanese is the only one I've really stuck with.

Sometimes I wish it wasn't... I really think that I would've achieved much greater mastery in any of these other languages (perhaps excepting Mandarin), especially since my focus has been very heavily on the written language, as opposed to the spoken one. Also especially since, when I started, the learning tools available weren't nearly as useful as the modern tools today are. There weren't free online resources to speak of (EDICT!), and looking up new words could take half an hour, since I first had to find the kanji by stroke count (usually miscounting strokes, and then try to find the word based on some of its common readings (and that approach doesn't help much when looking up words with irregular readings, like 明日 or 大人)). But Japanese is the language I love, for better or worse, and it is its complexity that drew me to it in the first place, so there's no point whining about the very thing that fascinates me about it. ;)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Nynaeve » Wed 06.29.2011 1:54 pm

Thank you, both of you!

Yeah micahcowan, I must admit that it is the complexity of the language that draws me in. I took german and french in school, but none of those spoke to me (literally) as japanese do! German has alot of grammar rules, but since I'm from Norway almost all the words sound like my native language. Therefore it wasn't at all like learning a new language, more like... a dialect?

I tried learning chinese a few years back, but I found that it's not that fun when you have such a hard time pronouncing it. But japanese seems like the ideal language for me to learn :)

Btw, does anyone know why my avatar won't show? It shows when I edit my profile, but not anywhere else...
Nynaeve

Native language: Norwegian

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.29.2011 2:30 pm

Nynaeve wrote:Btw, does anyone know why my avatar won't show? It shows when I edit my profile, but not anywhere else...

Weird... it doesn't show up at all for me either on your profile, or when I go into the administration section to edit your avatar. It says you simply don't have one set.

Could you give it another try? If not, you can PM me about it and I can get it sorted out for you. :)

EDIT: Fixed. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Wed 06.29.2011 10:58 pm

TJP e youkoso :wave:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Introductions