Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - hello!

hello!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

hello!

Postby eekcm2 » Wed 06.29.2011 6:40 pm

I thought if I am going to be here learning for years to come, maybe I should try to get a good start here :P . Anyways I've been interested in Japanese ever since i was a child if not just for the anime I watched, but It was just recently that I tried to do something about it. Over the past 2 weeks or so I soaked up most the kana, i can recognize and write all of hiragana and, save for a few characters, do the same for katakana. After I learned that I hit a learning rut, not learning much for a lack of information to learn from. after an hour or so of searching the internet, I finally found this site, and thank god I did! Not only is there huge amount of neatly organized information here there also is what seems to be a nice and devoted community to help people on there learning journey :D ! Needless to say I was elated. I hope to be here learning with you ladies and gents for a very long time. :)
eekcm2

Native language: US English

Re: hello!

Postby micahcowan » Wed 06.29.2011 7:33 pm

Welcome to TJP!

After I learned that I hit a learning rut, not learning much for a lack of information to learn from.

Do you have any Japanese textbooks to study? Genki seems to be very popular here (though I can't personally attest to it). I really liked "Learn Japanese: A New College Textbook", provided you ignore the details about intonation (all my various teachers that used the text ignored it). The main thing I like about Learn Japanese is that it has a heavy focus on sentence-pattern drilling. However, it probably does work best with a teacher, or a Japanese friend who can help, since otherwise there's no way to know when you're messing up the drills (they're still useful for practice, though).
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby eekcm2 » Wed 06.29.2011 7:41 pm

I don't have a textbook as of now but I am planing on getting one very soon. As you said genki does seem very popular so that may very well be the book i chose, though i will do some research on the subject before-hand just to make a more informed decision :D
eekcm2

Native language: US English

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 06.29.2011 8:32 pm

Needless to say I was elated. I hope to be here learning with you ladies and gents for a very long time.

hear hear. To a long and healthy language-learning friendship :D
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby chikara » Wed 06.29.2011 10:59 pm

TJP e youkoso :wave:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Introductions