Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese word for "password"?

Japanese word for "password"?

Do you have a translation question?

Japanese word for "password"?

Postby Kisai » Sun 06.26.2011 12:58 pm

I'm borrowing someone's laptop for a bit. She lives in a different state, but I have my own user account on her laptop, complete with password. I wanted to leave a password hint for my account just so when she goes back and wonders about accessing my account, she can be like, "What IS the password for that account he left on here? What can the hint tell me?"

But I want the hint to be in Japanese, and quite plainly, say what the password is. Just a sentence saying, "The password is _____" As an example, let's say it's "star".

But in Japanese, what's the word for "password"? The kind of password you use for website usernames and computer user accounts? I'm guessing it's the English word "password" in katakana?

Let me think... "password... 'star'... desu." Right? Would that be the correct word order? Or "'star'... password... desu"? Also, I assume the password itself would be enclosed with 「 」? And since you can't type passwords in Japanese, it'd be in simple plain English characters.

I just think it'd be awesome if she went back to her state and was stuck with my account with no way of getting it off the computer without the password, and seeing the Japanese, getting all confused, and then maybe one day... some day, she'll find someone who knows Japanese, and ask them to tell her what it says, and they'll say, "The password's 'star'." "Wait, how do you know?" "No, that's what the hint says, word for word."

Although, considering the password will be the only thing in English among a couple of Japanese characters, that might kinda give away the game. ;_;
Kisai

Native language: English

Re: Japanese word for "password"?

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 06.26.2011 1:40 pm

you're right, it's password in katakana.

'aikotoba' or other such words that have meanings similar to 'password' don't tend to get used on websites (I guess the nuance requires a different context.)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Kisai » Sun 06.26.2011 1:55 pm

So it'd be...

パスワード「star」デス。?
Kisai

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 06.26.2011 2:04 pm

Not convinced it's a good idea to go through with this, but anyway.

パスワードは「star」です。 is I guess what you'd put. 'desu' should be written in hiragana or it will look a bit odd.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Kisai » Sun 06.26.2011 2:14 pm

Well, I didn't mean to, of course. I'm glad I got the word order right. ^^; And yeah, it's probably gonna fail because of those english letters, but it'll be a neat little thing to do.

And thanks. ^_^
Kisai

Postby micahcowan » Sun 06.26.2011 6:28 pm

Another way to express it might be:

パスワードとして「star」をご利用ください。

("Please use 'star' for the password.)

Or you could use ご入力ください instead, for "Please enter 'star' as the password".
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby phreadom » Sun 06.26.2011 7:48 pm

I would think it's far too obvious to still have "star" written in roman characters.

It would seem to me that it would be much better to use ほし or something instead. So it could still plainly say it in Japanese... because if I looked at a hint like that and saw a single word in English, that would be the first thing I'd try typing. :P If you actually want the joke to be that it "plainly says in Japanese what the password is", then I'd think it should actually be in Japanese.

Maybe you actually would want to even type the password in kana? I'm not sure if you can even do that?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby micahcowan » Sun 06.26.2011 10:56 pm

What about エッス・ティー・エイ・アー (not sure アー is correct for R?...)

If that's used, might need to specify that it be entered all in 小文字 (lowercase).
micahcowan

Postby chikara » Wed 06.29.2011 11:11 pm

micahcowan wrote:.... not sure アー is correct for R?...

R is アール

エー、ビー、シー、ディー、イー、エフ、ジー、エイチ、アイ、ジェー、ケー、エル、エム、エヌ、オー、ピー、キュー、アール、エス、ティー、ユー、ブイ、ダブリュー、エックス、ワイ、ゼッド

:)

Edit: Fixed X
Last edited by chikara on Thu 06.30.2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 06.30.2011 7:45 am

chikara wrote:
エー、ビー、シー、ディー、イー、エフ、ジー、エイチ、アイ、ジェー、ケー、エル、エム、エヌ、オー、ピー、キュー、アール、エス、ティー、ユー、ブイ、ダブリュー、エック、ワイ、ゼッド

:)

Hahaha!!!

But shouldn't ゼッド be ジー ???? :wink:
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby micahcowan » Thu 06.30.2011 1:32 pm

tōkai devotee wrote:Hahaha!!!

But shouldn't ゼッド be ジー ???? :wink:

Already have that for G. ゼィー, maybe, but some people might still pronounce that as ジー.

And Zed is that letter's name (or one name for it), though I hear it far less often than ゼィー.

My favorite from that list was ダブリュー. And I'm assuming エック was meant to be エックス.

Thanks, chikara!
micahcowan

Postby chikara » Thu 06.30.2011 11:02 pm

micahcowan wrote:Already have that for G. ゼィー, maybe, but some people might still pronounce that as ジー.

And Zed is that letter's name (or one name for it) ......

I suspect tōkai devotee-san may have been being sarcastic as we are both Aussies and therefore we both would say zed (ゼッド) never zee as in American English. :)

micahcowan wrote:..... I'm assuming エック was meant to be エックス. ....

typo :doh:

Fixed now.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Fri 07.01.2011 6:47 am

chikara wrote:I suspect tōkai devotee-san may have been being sarcastic as we are both Aussies and therefore we both would say zed (ゼッド) never zee as in American English. :)

Yes I was being sarcastic. Sorry to have caused confusion. I was having a bizarre moment :?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby micahcowan » Fri 07.01.2011 11:51 am

tōkai devotee wrote:Yes I was being sarcastic. Sorry to have caused confusion. I was having a bizarre moment :?

Well, you even gave it a winky face, so it's probably my face. The joke just went completely over my head, because in America of course people really would say such a thing in all sincerity (which, yes, I realize was the joke), as we pretty much never, ever hear it called "Zed" over here. I was a little surprised to hear it from an Australian, where I had a suspicion it gets called "Zed", but it didn't even occur to me that it could be sarcastic :P
micahcowan

Postby Ongakuka » Fri 07.01.2011 12:19 pm

Well, you even gave it a winky face, so it's probably my face.

This made me laugh :D (sorry, I'm sure it must be a typo right?)

Anyway, both 'zee' and 'zed' sound natural to my British ears.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion