Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - some Questions about Hirigana

some Questions about Hirigana

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

some Questions about Hirigana

Postby spazitude80 » Fri 07.01.2011 2:35 pm

I was reading on the site and learning Hirigana on here and I bought a book on kana and Kanji and noticed some of the symbols for example KI were slightly differant. My question is does it matter what the kana looks like. Also I noticed that only the symbols for a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko ect were on here but I know there are pa pi pu pe po or whatever. How do I get a hirigana and katakana chart.
spazitude80

Native language: english

Re: some Questions about Hirigana

Postby phreadom » Fri 07.01.2011 2:52 pm

Which characters are different, and how are they different? Just in the slight differences in how they're written? (like the little "hooks" on the end of the strokes etc?) :think:

Katakana chart: http://thejapanesepage.com/beginners/katakana
Hiragana chart: http://thejapanesepage.com/hiragana

Please see chapter 11 on both of those pages for an explanation of how the ba bi bu, and pa pi pu etc sounds are formed etc. :)

Let us know if you still have more questions! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: some Questions about Hirigana

Postby micahcowan » Fri 07.01.2011 4:03 pm

I'm guessing that by different symbols, he's referring to differences in, say, き and さ, where you'll sometimes see that bottom part connected to the top, and sometimes not. Another example would be そ, where sometimes the top is a line connecting to the rest, and sometimes it's just a separate jot.

If that's the case spazitude, then no, it doesn't really matter much what they look like. In pen/pencil handwriting, AFAICT, they're not usually connected; in brush handwriting they often were, and that's what the printed style (when it connects) is imitating.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems