Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Brief question about a name...

Brief question about a name...

Do you have a translation question?

Brief question about a name...

Postby TokonatsuHana » Sun 07.03.2011 3:22 am

Hello!

So I've had the screen name "Tokonatsu" for years, and recently I just changed it to TokonatsuHana... The problem is that I originally made it with no real knowledge of Japanese, and now I'm wondering just how random it sounds to someone who actually knows the language.

As far as I've learned, the kanji for it is 常夏花 or more like 常夏の花 which to me looks like it would mean "flower of everlasting summer" or "tropical flower." But when I was talking to some American Japanese students they said it looks like "tonkatsu" which is a kind of sliced pork >.<

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, does my screen name actually live up to the meaning I originally hoped it had, or is it just a senseless mash of kanji?

I'd appreciate any opinions or help! :D
Thank you very much for reading this, and have a great night!
TokonatsuHana

Native language: English

Re: Brief question about a name...

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 07.03.2011 11:10 am

It looks just fine to me. :D
Aren't they just being facetious?
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby phreadom » Sun 07.03.2011 12:39 pm

Hyperworm; I don't think you're catching what their question actually is.

Their name was Tokonatsu 常夏 for years, but was recently changed to TokonatsuHana, which they write as 常夏花.

So they are wondering if that's how you'd say it, rather than 常夏の花 or something, or if it makes sense at all etc.

Personally I did think "tonkatsu" when I first saw it as well. ;) But I'm just an ignorant newbie, so my opinion doesn't really count. :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 07.03.2011 1:00 pm

I think that 常夏の花 sounds better than without the の (concatenated, I start wondering about rendaku and other stuff).

But if the question is "Does 'tokonatsu' sound right at all?", I don't see any problem with it. It's a valid word, with more than just a passing mention in the dictionary, and sounds poetic. Even if you don't know 常(とこ), 夏(なつ) jumps out at you from the romaji, and 花 makes that connection even more obvious.

'Tonkatsu' is obviously a much more common word, and there might be a little similarity there, but I think ribbing the name for it is just being silly. ._.
Hyperworm

Postby TokonatsuHana » Sun 07.03.2011 7:51 pm

Thanks so much! That's a relief, lol...

I was always worried that my putting 常 and 夏 together into one word wasn't actually grammatically correct, so I'm really glad that it's legitimate :D It's just that they were giving me a such hard time about it I wanted to know if it even made sense in the first place XD

And that's even better to know that 花 fit's comfortably afterward with no need for a の because the romanji spelling with a "no" in it would just look confusing to people who don't know any Japanese.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to this thread, I really appreciate it! ^_^
TokonatsuHana

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 07.03.2011 9:34 pm

Just in case...
Hyperworm wrote:I think that 常夏の花 sounds better than (the version) without the の
Hyperworm

Postby TokonatsuHana » Mon 07.04.2011 1:11 am

Oh, I guess I misread that as "常夏の花 sounds better then (as the version) without the の.”
So the "no" is necessary after all... Otherwise I guess it does look like a weird compound or something. Well, then "TokonatsuNoHana" it is!
TokonatsuHana

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 07.05.2011 3:05 pm

If it's a name, I don't see any necessity for having a の. In old Japanese, names which included the particle の could be written without it, right? It probably feels more 'poetic' and like correct Japanese if it is there, I suppose.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 07.05.2011 4:51 pm

I like that, when の is in the reading but not in the kanji :D
Of course you can't pull that trick with the romaji version of the name.
Hyperworm

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion