Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - stealing music

stealing music

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

stealing music

Postby i_like_potatoes » Thu 12.22.2005 4:48 am

I just got a new I-Pod Nano for Christmas (yes, I know it's early), and the actual device was wrapped in plastic. On it, it has a reminder against stealing music written in white.

Don't steal music.
Ne volez pas la musique.
Bitte keine Musik stehlen.
音楽を盗用しないでください。

English, being my mother language, is clearly understood. German, being my 3rd language, is also clearly understood. French, 5th language, the verb stumped me. (well, it would if it weren't for the other languages around it. lol) But, with the Japanese, my 4th language, I had alot of trouble. (again, I would if it weren't for the other languages present).

Of course, understand the sets of kanji (even though I cannot read it), as I have replicated it here. After some careful looking-up of radicals, I have found all the kanji and their readings. But, can someone tell me why it is a combonation of 盗む (めすむ) meaning 'steal' and 用いる (もちいる) meaning 'use'. Is 'steal' not a verb here?

Also, I haven't seen a verb form like this before. What verb form is this and why?
I try my best...
i_like_potatoes

RE: stealing music

Postby SaigoNoBan » Thu 12.22.2005 5:07 am

I am by no means an expert, and I hope the real pros don't stone me for what I'm about to write...

But as I see it, 盗用 is a actually a noun, read とうよう and meaning "plagiarism" according to the online dictionary, so my guess is that they used the verb する to make it into a verb (like in 勉強をする)

I think the しないで is the negative gerund of する, which makes sense because with ください it builds the polite negative imperative - "please do not make plagiarism" would be the literal translation sorta, ne?

Just my 2 cents. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Have a nice day everyone,
Max
とうとう戻ってきました!^_^ お待たせしました
SaigoNoBan

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 12.22.2005 5:23 am

2 more cents:

盗用 (とうよう) (n,vs) embezzlement; fraudulent use; plagiarism; (P);

as to why it's phrased that way... i think it's a bit more polite to use a noun-suru construction, otherwise i don't really know...
zengargoyle

Postby alex_2096 » Thu 12.22.2005 8:44 am

I always thought they should change that to, 'uninstall limewire'
uninstall limewire
limewire d'uninstall
entfernen Sie limewire
石灰ワイヤーを取除きなさい

hehe, maybe a little overuse of the google language tools, and a little too much free time - stupid xmas hols
but out of interest did google translate the nihongo correctly
Last edited by alex_2096 on Thu 12.22.2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex_2096

Postby i_like_potatoes » Thu 12.22.2005 9:53 am

alex_2096 wrote:
I always thought they should change that to, 'uninstall limewire'
uninstall limewire
limewire d'uninstall
entfernen Sie limewire
石灰ワイヤーを取除きなさい

hehe, maybe a little overuse of the google language tools, and a little too much free time - stupid xmas hols
but out of interest did google translate the nihongo correctly

First of all, much thanks to saigon and zen for the help. I was up really late last night and it hadn't crossed my mind that it might not be a literal translation. Both of your explinations made alot of sense and helped out just as much. ^_^

<.< I really don't mean to stear this thread in a new direction, but did anyone else wonder why it wasn't written in Spanish?
I try my best...
i_like_potatoes

Return to Introductions