Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chat: unknown or not conected

Chat: unknown or not conected

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Chat: unknown or not conected

Postby aru303 » Wed 06.22.2011 7:58 am

I am trying to load chat, but always get msg "you are trying to speek to unknown or not connecting user". Maybe you have some advice (cleaning cache, cookies etc). Thanks in advance :bow:
aru303

Native language: Lithuanian, Russian

Re: Chat: unknown or not conected

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.22.2011 12:52 pm

If this keeps popping up, let me know...

Is it preventing you from getting in the chat? Or just popping up while you're joining the chat?

It's just a bug related to trying to open a tab to someone who isn't online anymore, or closing one under the same circumstances. Usually if it becomes annoying I'll clear out all the chat caches etc and start fresh. :)

(I also wonder if it might be related to names with kana/kanji in them...) :think:

Anyway, I'm working on a new chat, so hopefully we won't have these problems shortly. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby aru303 » Wed 06.22.2011 3:45 pm

Thank you :bow:
Actualy it happened once today. It did not alow me to enter chat. If it happens another time, I will let you know.
In addition what does it mean "chosen nickname is not allowed"?
aru303

Native language: Lithuanian, Russian

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.22.2011 6:02 pm

arucard3O3 wrote:In addition what does it mean "chosen nickname is not allowed"?

Generally when it says that it's because it thinks you are still logged in... so it thinks you are still in the chat and doesn't want to allow a second person claiming to be you into the chat at the same time.

So it waits until it's sure that the "first" you is actually logged out before it lets the "new" you into the chat to replace the "old" you.

I know it's a bit irritating at times, but hopefully the new chat is smarter about dealing with this issue.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Shiroisan » Fri 07.15.2011 1:20 am

phreadom wrote:
arucard3O3 wrote:In addition what does it mean "chosen nickname is not allowed"?

Generally when it says that it's because it thinks you are still logged in... so it thinks you are still in the chat and doesn't want to allow a second person claiming to be you into the chat at the same time.

So it waits until it's sure that the "first" you is actually logged out before it lets the "new" you into the chat to replace the "old" you.

I know it's a bit irritating at times, but hopefully the new chat is smarter about dealing with this issue.

Hey phreadom this was my issue tonight apparently, firefox was working just fine it's just thinking that I'm still already logged on in chat so it won't let me in... Anyway, night.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby phreadom » Fri 07.15.2011 2:16 am

Shiroisan wrote:Hey phreadom this was my issue tonight apparently, firefox was working just fine it's just thinking that I'm still already logged on in chat so it won't let me in... Anyway, night.

Sometimes if you log out and then log back in, it thinks you're still in the chat. Give it a few minutes (like 5 minutes?) and try again.

I think I'm going to swap out the chat back-end for Prosody (now that we've got it tying into the forum user db), and throw the previous webchat back on it again for now. Should get rid of a lot of our headaches for the time being, and leave me with only 1 problem left to tackle before we migrate to a new server to save costs and then we can really start digging into the rest of the site, adding new content, updating old broken stuff, etc.

The fancy new chat I've been working on is just going to take too long to try doing before the move. First things first.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Return to Problems