Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Explanation of 意思 in 国語

Explanation of 意思 in 国語

Do you have a translation question?

Explanation of 意思 in 国語

Postby Shirogao » Tue 07.26.2011 10:47 am

Hello everyone!
I was browsing the Japanese internets, while waiting in a queue to the x-ray, and meanwhile reading the meanings of words in a JP-JP dictionary.

The entry was for the word 意思【いし】
I feel like I'm clear about the first, but I'm uncertain of the second sentence.

① 何かをしようとするときの元となる心持ち。
②「本人の―に任せる」

❶ The mood which becomes the basis when someone is about to do something.
❷ "Something with the person concerned and that something is let up to him?"

What does ② mean?
Why is ② in those「」brackets?
Is there a more appropriate translation for ①?

Thank you in advance! :)
Shirogao

Native language: NA

Re: Explanation of 意思 in 国語

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 07.26.2011 4:26 pm

Prefixing the sentences with ① and ② makes it look like they're two different numbered senses or definitions for 意思 (I'm not sure if you intended this).
In any case - this is all part of a single numbered sense/definition, which is sense 1 from Daijisen.

The second sentence is in 「」 (analogous to quotation marks) because it's an example sentence for this sense of 意思.
The ― mark indicates that the headword 意思 should be included at that position.
「本人の―に任せる」=「本人の意思に任せる」= "Leave it up to the 意思 of the person concerned" ( leave it to him to decide ; we'll go by what he wants/decides to do )

I might translate ① as "The state of mind that forms the basis for taking an action"?
In other words it's the intention to do, or the resolution/resolve to do, or the mind to do, something?

Your translation of ① is spot-on grammatically, but it might have been a little unclear what exactly "basis" was getting at. I hope this rewording (though a little less literal) helps.

[EDIT: oops, url messed up]
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby micahcowan » Tue 07.26.2011 4:53 pm

The 「 」 are quotes. I think ② is more of a usage example than an actual definition. I believe the ― just represents where to place the word 意思.

The word 本人 means "the person himself", or "the actual person", and is often used to express either an idea of doing something "in person" (not sending emissaries to represent you — 彼本人がやってきた, "he came in person" (note that 本人 is used as a sort of suffix here; "he himself". That's not uncommon.)).

I'm not familiar with the phrase 「本人の意思に任せる」, but I googled it for some decent examples; you may wish to do the same. My rough impression is that it's used to mean something like "I leave it to you (your own self) to decide", or "I'll have to leave it in their hands". Perhaps someone more familiar with the phrase can elaborate/correct. :)

(Well, now that I'm previewing what I've written, I see Hyperworm beat me to the response. What the hell, I'll throw this into the thread too, seeing as how I already wrote it, and it seems I'm not off the mark.)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Shirogao » Wed 07.27.2011 6:33 pm

Thank you very much, your replies were helpful! :colonthree:
Shirogao

Native language: NA

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion