Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The first Tora Dora! light novel

The first Tora Dora! light novel

Do you have a translation question?

The first Tora Dora! light novel

Postby Yurl » Wed 07.27.2011 7:47 pm

So, I'm trying to learn through translations (I have done some studying prior to, but this is the bulk of my studying now), and I've chosen the Tora Dora! light novel to translate.
I ran into a problem pretty early on with this sentence.
そう、 俺は飯を並べていっぱんに二杯食うタイプなんだよ。
I can't piece together two specific things about it. Why 並べて is used (or at least the "te" form of), and what 食うタイプ is supposed to mean.
The context is that Ryuuji (The one speaking) is making this as an excuse for eating two bowls of rice (he was asked earlier why he had two bowls, to which he said he was going to eat both of them).
So far it seems like he's saying "So, I set my meals with two bowls of the eating type of rice." I just can't find concrete evidence for that.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. :colonthree:
Yurl

Native language: English

Re: The first Tora Dora! light novel

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 07.27.2011 8:32 pm

Could いっぱんにbe a typo for いっぺんに? If so it seems that the sentence should be: "I'm the type who likes to line up two bowls of rice and eat them at the same time." (いっぺんに= at the same time.)

タイプ refers to 俺 not to 飯.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yurl » Wed 07.27.2011 9:38 pm

Yeah, I'm sooooooo sorry for that. I can't believe I just misread it. It IS いっぺんに。 No wonder I didn't quite get it.
Thanks for pointing that out, although I really shouldn't be making a mistake like that. :sweatdrop:
Yurl

Native language: English

Postby rpapo » Mon 09.19.2011 1:42 pm

You may or may not be aware that all ten volumes of Toradora, plus a portion of the spinoffs, have already been translated into English at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Toradora!. I've been working on the project for nearly two years now, as a way to improve my proficiency in reading and understanding Japanese. Unfortunately, it's about all the practice I get with the language, since I have nobody with whom to converse in Japanese amongst my circle of friends (home, work, church), so I am only learning slowly.

That said, I'm worlds further than when I started working on Baka-Tsuki near the end of 2009. The first page I did took me two weeks. Now, it takes about two hours per page. I've still a long way to go. :roll:
rpapo

Native language: English - 英語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion