Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation Help

Translation Help

Do you have a translation question?

Translation Help

Postby Anti Her0z » Sat 07.30.2011 6:17 pm

Hi, I'm getting the Bushido Code tattooed on my arm. I spent some time to make sure these are accurate translations. If you see any problems, please let me know. My question is, I was told when certain characters are lined up next to one another, this could change its inherent meaning. So I'm planning on getting half of the code, which is on the top row of the link I'll provide, on my left arm, and the bottom row on my right arm. They will be running vertically.

So does change any of its meaning, or make it incorrect?

Any help would be much appreciated

Heres the link
http://i.imgur.com/SLPhq.jpg

thank you
Anti Her0z

Native language: English

Re: Translation Help

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 07.30.2011 6:45 pm

If neither you nor your tattoo artist can read Japanese, the chance of the characters coming out badly done, sideways, mirrored, upside-down or just plain ugly is quite high. Take a gander at Hanzi Smatter before you go through with your plan.

That said the characters you posted are correct, if in an ugly font, although 勇 looks kind of lopsided. Proceed with caution, or get a tattoo in a language you can actually read.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby phreadom » Sat 07.30.2011 7:03 pm

I should probably add....

Tattoos in Japan

and

Why TJP doesn't help with Japanese Tattoos

Please read those and bear them in mind as you go forward. :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby micahcowan » Sat 07.30.2011 11:35 pm

As Becky mentioned, the character for courage looks particularly poor. The characters for "benevolence" and "respect" don't look terrible, but they don't look quite-right either - slightly off-balanced, sort of diagonal.

Also, I'm sure you probably weren't planning on getting the readings tattooed, but 誠 is makoto, not makato.

I did a search for bushido code and came up with a couple hits of this version, from which I'd guess your samples were taken (the artist doesn't seem to actually be Japanese, which might account for the oddity of some of the characters). I'll just pointed out that where you have 勇 (yuu), the original had 勇気 (yuuki, with 気 written in an older form).

(It also would seem that some versions of the bushido code list an eighth virtue, 克己 kokki, meaning self-control or restraint.)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Anti Her0z » Sun 07.31.2011 12:23 pm

becki_kanou wrote:If neither you nor your tattoo artist can read Japanese, the chance of the characters coming out badly done, sideways, mirrored, upside-down or just plain ugly is quite high. Take a gander at Hanzi Smatter before you go through with your plan.

That said the characters you posted are correct, if in an ugly font, although 勇 looks kind of lopsided. Proceed with caution, or get a tattoo in a language you can actually read.

It was actually my tattoo artist that warned me about putting the characters together, and having its meaning changed.

micahcowan wrote:I did a search for bushido code and came up with a couple hits of this version, from which I'd guess your samples were taken (the artist doesn't seem to actually be Japanese, which might account for the oddity of some of the characters). I'll just pointed out that where you have 勇 (yuu), the original had 勇気 (yuuki, with 気 written in an older form).

Yea this is where I got mine from, and I heard from alot of people that the yukki form was incorrect, that yuu looked much better and more accurate.

Bottom line, is I was hoping you guys could help me find the correct form of all the tenets of the code. Something that wasn't lopsided, in a good font. I read your guys links, and I don't want to disrespect the Japanese language or culture. I don't want to be ignorant to its meaning, thats why I've come to you guys for help. I'm in love with Japanese culture, and have been for a long time. Thats why the last thing I want to do is misrepresent or disrespect the culture. And despite it being a western idea, The Bushido code, is something I hold very dear to my heart, and I want it to be represented on me correctly. I would greatly much appreciate it.
Anti Her0z

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 07.31.2011 2:50 pm

Yea this is where I got mine from, and I heard from alot of people that the yukki form was incorrect, that yuu looked much better and more accurate.

If you were having a single tattoo, then yes 'yuuki' would be off. However, in the context of the bushido-code, I'd assume it is more correct.

This is because 'yuu' by itself represents more of a concept, whereas 'yuuki' looks more like, well, a word. Words tend to need context, which is what the bushido-code in its full glory would be providing.

Well, I hope that makes some sense. I don't really know anything about Japanese tattoos :sweatdrop:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby AJBryant » Sun 07.31.2011 11:42 pm

It should probably be pointed out, as well, that there is no such thing as "THE bushido code." Those are just random values someone thought sounded good. There isn't ANY bushido code -- nothing codified, anyway.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Ranja » Mon 08.01.2011 10:02 am

from http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E6%AD%A6%E5%A3%AB%E9%81%93

しかしあくまで「武士道」は旧武士階級(支配階級)の倫理観であり、そもそもとして日本人全体の倫理観では無く、近代における拝金主義などの個人主義と反するモノであったため、民衆にはあまり根付かず、速やかに廃れていってしまった。ただ、新渡戸が外国に対して「武士道」を日本国民の普遍的な倫理観としたため、海外からのウケは良く、日本と言えば「ブシドー」の国という印象が強く海外諸国に根付いた

I think that the "Bushido code" you found is the one that Inazou Nitobe put forward in 1900 after Bushi(Samurai) had disappeared in Japan.
Because he published his idea in English, it became very popular outside Japan. However in Japan, it didn't receive widespread support by the public and died out in a short time.

Yes, there is the concept of Bushido, but nothing codified.
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Postby Anti Her0z » Mon 08.01.2011 12:40 pm

No, I realize that there is no set definition of the Bushido Code, that it had gone unwritten, pretty much till the 1960's. Some codes, have different tenents. But these are the tenets I like.
Anti Her0z

Postby BlackCitadel » Wed 10.19.2011 8:12 am

Can you please tell me what does this poster say???
I have tried my best after learning the basic Japanese Grammar and posted this in other forms but didn't get a nice translation..
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.25 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
BlackCitadel

Native language: Arabic

Postby katafei » Thu 10.20.2011 7:55 am

...hhmmm, did you actually read the advice you got earlier, from several posters??
it's totally undoable to have the whole game translated here.... :whistle:
try to get your hands on some Japanese course...or try:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 10.20.2011 9:02 am

This one was posted along with the others before we said anything, so :D
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby furrykef » Fri 10.21.2011 8:40 am

To be honest I was going to 'be nice' and do this one just this once -- then I saw the other posts and I thought, "Nah." ^^;
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby katafei » Sat 10.22.2011 9:36 pm

Hyperworm wrote:This one was posted along with the others before we said anything, so :D

ah...didn't notice that...sorry... :roll: :D
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion