Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Get Rosetta Stone cheap for a good cause. :)

Get Rosetta Stone cheap for a good cause. :)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Get Rosetta Stone cheap for a good cause. :)

Postby phreadom » Sun 07.31.2011 10:50 pm

My cousin (Jatznic here on TJP as well) is selling his copy of Rosetta Stone levels 1 and 2 (version 2 I believe, the date on the box is 2005) for a decent price and "10% of the final sale price will support Hands on Tokyo (official site)"
(see the link below for more details)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 720wt_1396

rsj_12.JPG
rsj_12.JPG (43.35 KiB) Viewed 2481 times

Hopefully this is ok to post here? (I suppose the only person I could really ask would be Clay himself huh? :P )
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Get Rosetta Stone cheap for a good cause. :)

Postby phreadom » Tue 08.02.2011 6:36 pm

Nevermind. NEVER BUY THIS SOFTWARE.

Their EULA says that you aren't actually buying the software, only licensing it to be able to install it, so it's illegal to resell. They claim you're violating their copyright if you try to resell it.

Again, NEVER BUY THIS SOFTWARE.

They're officially on my sh** list now.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Get Rosetta Stone cheap for a good cause. :)

Postby micahcowan » Wed 08.03.2011 1:01 am

phreadom wrote:Their EULA says that you aren't actually buying the software, only licensing it to be able to install it

That much, of course, is virtually always true when you're buying software. You don't own the software represented by the bit patterns printed on the discs, just the physical discs themselves, etc.

They claim you're violating their copyright if you try to resell it.

This is obviously a further claim than usual, which as far as I can tell, in order to work, they'd have to not only claim that you don't own the software (normal), but that you can't transfer your right to a copy. This right isn't theirs to grant, so neither is it theirs to take away.

IANAL, but this seems applicable. AFAICT, they use these absolutely unenforceable, bull$h*t terms to bully and issue takedown orders, but I strongly suspect that it would never hold up in court, and in fact I'm pretty sure other similar terms were ruled invalid, like, ages ago. Otherwise literally everyone would be doing this with all their software (Why wouldn't they? It guarantees more sales for them).

It is, of course, tantamount to claiming that you can't sell a book you own, once you've bought it. The same situation applies (provided you've made no copies of either the book or the software). Can you imagine the outcries if a textbook publisher tried the same tactic?

(If you read the article in detail, it does note that certain computer software is excepted from the first-sale doctrine, but it looks like it only applies to video game software (written for video game-specific machines - and analogous situations), and firmware (software not ordinarily copyable). As I said, IANAL, you'd want to consult one before trusting me (or Wikipedia) on this.)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Japanese General Discussion