Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - about "new" chat

about "new" chat

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

about "new" chat

Postby aru303 » Wed 08.03.2011 11:55 am

Hello :) I have a little problem starting using it.
I use step by step guide till last possible join button. Chat window opens, but it seems very empty just 2 buttons: invite and send. Tried to type something, but nothing apeares. I use my tjp account, so I think I don't have to register.
Thank you in advance. :bow:
aru303

Native language: Lithuanian, Russian

Re: about "new" chat

Postby aru303 » Wed 08.03.2011 11:59 am

Oh, I just found that first time, you still have to register. I did, but still same problem :think:
aru303

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Wed 08.03.2011 12:58 pm

ya i'm having the same problem here
「鷹の魂は消えないで空の中に永遠に生きる。」 "A Hawk's spirit never dies, for it lives on forever in the sky"
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Native language: Spanish

Postby aru303 » Wed 08.03.2011 1:30 pm

Hm in think it is better to return previous chat :)
aru303

Postby micahcowan » Wed 08.03.2011 1:55 pm

FWIW, same problem here. Also tried to use an XMPP client (following "how to use other programs with chat" or whatever it was called), but couldn't get that working.

(I'm using Google Chrome on Ubuntu, though, which may not be a mainstream testing setup...)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby aru303 » Wed 08.03.2011 2:28 pm

tested on xp explorer, firefox and chrome :think:
aru303

Postby phreadom » Thu 08.04.2011 12:43 am

I'm working on a new setup on the new server. (simpler webchat that will authenticate against the forum user database, so you won't have to remember separate logins etc... so we'll have a simpler setup again, but also have the ability for the power users to use Pandion/Pidgin again if they'd like.)

In the interim, you should be able to join http://thejapanesepage.com/chat2/ using the instructions from http://thejapanesepage.com/chat/

I've updated http://thejapanesepage.com/chat/ to show this information where the login box usually is.

(That also means that you power users can use Pandion and Pidgin again.) :mrgreen: Every dark cloud has its silver lining. ;)

Sorry for the trouble. :sweatdrop: I think I broke something when customizing it, but I've been too busy with the server migration and setting up the new chat on the new server (which for reasons too complex to explain here I can't really setup on this server) to go back through and redo it.

ごめんなさい :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Thu 08.04.2011 11:57 am

It won't let me authenticate. I followed the instructions. Do you think it dislikes my kana username?

Thanks,
ダラゴスちゃん

EDIT: conference.thejapanesepage.com is not a valid host. It cannot be reached. Sounds like it's not just down, but that third level domain doesn't exist.

EDIT2: The dns info for this site doesn't list that, the info on that page is old and needs updating. I tried using the main second level domain, no such luck either. There is a test.thejapanesepage.com, I will try that.

EDIT3: test.thejapanesepage.com seems to be the old server. The chat is functional there! But it's the old webchat, not the new chat. Regardless it's working there.
ダラゴスちゃん

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Thu 08.04.2011 1:51 pm

ダラゴスちゃん wrote:It won't let me authenticate. I followed the instructions. Do you think it dislikes my kana username?

Thanks,
ダラゴスちゃん

EDIT: conference.thejapanesepage.com is not a valid host. It cannot be reached. Sounds like it's not just down, but that third level domain doesn't exist.

EDIT2: The dns info for this site doesn't list that, the info on that page is old and needs updating. I tried using the main second level domain, no such luck either. There is a test.thejapanesepage.com, I will try that.

EDIT3: test.thejapanesepage.com seems to be the old server. The chat is functional there! But it's the old webchat, not the new chat. Regardless it's working there.

test.thejapanesepage.com is actually the NEW server... but using an older copy of the site at the moment while I work on the chat stuff.

you should be able to join with just "thejapanesepage.com" on the current one, without the "conference." part, if you're going to join with Pandion or Pidgin.

If you're going to use the webchat, as long as you use the /chat2/ address instead of /chat/ page you should be able to enter just the username (without the @thejapanesepage.com part) and password, being sure to check the "register" box the first time you join it...

And yes, you're right... the current webchat doesn't like the kana usernames. I'm hoping to fix that on the new server (which is being setup to use a different xmpp server on the back-end, and different webchat and BOSH etc)

In fact, for the power users here, it's already up and running on test.thejapanesepage.com and I'm sitting in the lounge on there. But I'm still using temporary encryption certs until the site is ready, and I'm having another problem with the web server config properly handling the bosh connection... ( http://test.thejapanesepage.com:5280/http-bind/ works, but the alias to it to hide the port number doesn't work and throws a "502 Bad Gateway" error... so I'm off to #nginx to see if someone can help me figure out why.)

Also, the new chat I'm working on is already setup to authenticate against the forum user database, so if you already have an account on there (ie; you made it before that dump was made on April 7th) you can sign into the XMPP chat using that same login and password... no registration required (or allowed through xmpp for that matter).

Sorry for all the tech talk, but that's where we're at at the moment.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Thu 08.04.2011 8:34 pm

Oh it's working well! I can connect to pidgin with ease ^_^.

どもありがとうございました!
ダラゴスちゃん

Native language: 英語

Return to Problems