Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Putting it all togther

Putting it all togther

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Putting it all togther

Postby leahonthemove » Tue 08.30.2011 4:50 pm

Hery all,
this is my first time on this site and learning japanese but I need to ask, is there a system of putting the hiragana together to make words. I am a little confused as to know how a combination is a particular word!
HELP!!!! :)
leahonthemove

Native language: english

Re: Putting it all togther

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.01.2011 7:48 pm

leahonthemove wrote:Hery all,
this is my first time on this site and learning japanese but I need to ask, is there a system of putting the hiragana together to make words. I am a little confused as to know how a combination is a particular word!
HELP!!!! :)

Sure. You just string them together, as you do in English. Left-to-right, lines top-to-bottom, or else characters top-to-bottom, lines right-to-left.

For instance, the Japanese word akai, which in English means "red" (the adjective). To form that word in hiragana, you just write あかい あ/a ・ か/ka ・い/i

Since in Japanese, all consonants are always followed by a vowel, except sometimes "n", the only time you have to be careful is with n. Hopefully, when you see a word with an "n" that is supposed to be written ん, the word will be written so it's distinguished; perhaps with a apostrophe after the n if it's followed by a vowel, to show that for instance man'en should be written as まんえん and not まねん

Normally Japanese is written not only in hiragana, but in a mixture of kanji, katakana, and hiragana, and always without any spaces between the words. However, when Japanese is written without kanji (especially, in children's books and such), spaces are often used to make it clear where the word breaks are (when kanji is used, it's usually easier to tell what the separate words are).

I hope that helps.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)