Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - -ないと

-ないと

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

-ないと

Postby mella » Thu 09.01.2011 5:08 am

In a manga I am reading this sentence
気を付けないと
has been translated as affirmative, even if -ない is negative. Is -ないと a special grammar structure that I haven't yet studied?
mella

Native language: Italian

Re: -ないと

Postby blutorange » Thu 09.01.2011 5:26 am

How was it translated? Literally it means "if [you] don't pay attention, then...". More naturally, one could turn this into an affirmative by saying "[you] need to / should pay attention". Please see http://www.guidetojapanese.org/conditional.html#part2

Also, note that there is a big difference between "literal translation" and "natural translation": Especially for languages quite a bit different from English such as Japanese, it often happens that although the literal meaning contains a certain grammatical structure &c (eg negative), the best way to say it in English may not contain that certain grammatical structure (eg using a positive+should).

For example, instead of
I am not eating food.
which uses a negative, I could as well say
I am currently doing something else other than eating food.
which uses an affirmative construction, yet the meaning is almost the same.
blutorange

Native language: German

Re: -ないと

Postby squarezebra » Thu 09.01.2011 12:54 pm

To put it another way, is a contraction, or an incomplete sentence. The full sentence would have (probably) been 気を付けないといけない (which is a double-negative) which means you MUST pay attention (for whatever reason). In casual spoken Japanese, parts of speech are often dropped and you just have to get used to this through exposure.
Spend less time thinking, and more time doing.
squarezebra

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems