Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Great way of learning vocabulary!

Great way of learning vocabulary!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Great way of learning vocabulary!

Postby kentaku_sama » Mon 08.29.2011 11:20 am

Currently I'm trying to get somewhere after being very dormant in my japanese study so I decided that I was going to base my study currently on being able to pass the JLPT level N3. I know alot of the words but alot of them I don't know as well. If I studied and practiced as much as I played the piano I'd be twice as good lol! :D
Anyway I found this free site called "Lang-8" kind of like a twitter site for language exchange and I found it to be very very helpful! I never liked anki because drilling is kind of boring, it's more fun to actually use the words. I've found that by using the words in entries and stories I make up, I may forget the english translation completely but I will be able to use and read the word when it comes up. So right now I'm using 5 - 6 JLPT n3 word list a day in journel entires and stories and found it to be the least amount of effort to retain the words.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Great way of learning vocabulary!

Postby celticflower » Fri 09.02.2011 1:11 am

I'm jealous, I have a lousy memory :mrgreen:

I want a lang-8 account too, but I'm nowhere near ready for it and don't want to waste anyone's time. For the moment I'm sticking to bits and pieces on my own journals, including my blog here, that way I can ramble and post what I want guilt free and it doesn't matter if I don't remember it all! :dance:

I’m also compiling vocabulary lists from things I’m interested in like song lyrics, and the one edition of the Hiragana Times I own, and I also made myself some little flash cards - 20 ‘easy’ Kanji, and of course I have a few android apps on my phone.

Wow, it really sounds like I’m on the move with this learning lark, but not really! :doh:

Good luck with your studies!

Clare
。 Bright (ki) 。 クレア
http://citlecrewolf.livejournal.com/
celticflower

Postby squarezebra » Fri 09.02.2011 8:15 am

Clareさん、
If you can so much as write your name in Japanese then you are ready to start using Lang-8. It doesn't matter how good or bad you 'think' you are, you have to start somewhere right?
Why don't you give it a go. Even a simple self-introduction is good^^
Spend less time thinking, and more time doing.
squarezebra

Postby celticflower » Sat 09.03.2011 1:54 pm

squarezebra wrote:Clareさん

I love that - so cute, and I'm far too old to be thinking that about anything related to me! :D

Hello squarezebra, thanks for the encouragement! I'm really not ready for lang-8 in any capacity yet, but I do intened to join up at some point, it's a great idea and I want to be able to do it justice both ways when I do sign up.

Talk to you later,

Clare
。 Bright (ki) 。 クレア
http://citlecrewolf.livejournal.com/
celticflower

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips