Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello, Old Friends.

Hello, Old Friends.

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello, Old Friends.

Postby Gan » Tue 09.13.2011 1:54 am

Hello, TJP! I know I haven't posted here very often but I think I've decided to try to.

Truth be told, I haven't studied 日本語 in a long while.

I know what a couple of you TJP veterans are thinking,

-Kid tries to learn Japanese because he/she likes アニメとマンガ, time goes by, they ask a few questions, and they try to learn ひらがなとカタカナ, a few months by and they finally ask about 漢字 and then years go by with no more than 40 posts, they disappear seemingly never to be seen again, only to show up 5 years later stating that they've 「ひらがなとカタカナを忘れた。」 because they haven't studied in ages and you can't help thinking "Give it up already, your efforts are futile" -

Good news, I'm not that kid.

...I'm his twin. :P

But I haven't forgotten Hiragana,and still remember quite a few kanji.

My interest in any specific Japanese media has somewhat abated over the years, but never has my interest in the culture vanished. I'm pretty sure that can seem a contradictory statement but it's only that I no longer care about one specific thing anymore. I use to want to be a linguist and to translate Japanese texts, and I still kind of want to do that but not as a profession anymore. Just as a hobby, as I have a lot of free time and it is something that still interests me greatly.

So for those who have seen specter after specter floating through the boards proclaiming their destiny to land themselves in a Magic land of Japan only to fall into an abyss of obscurity, worry not, I'm drifting, sure, but at least I know what to expect and how hard it is to actually achieve any goals.

So why am I here, to learn more. Simple really. (though, a learning disability does make it a bit more difficult, not impossible though. :) )

P.S anyone know where that Knuckles in ------- Land game is hosted? I actually forget the title of it. Thanks you to anyone who helps me with that.

P.P.S - Is there a way for me to acquire a name change? This one reminds me of a young version of myself that was too naive and arrogant.
Gan

Native language: English

Re: Hello, Old Friends.

Postby phreadom » Tue 09.13.2011 2:33 am

First, おかえりなさい! :wave:

Second, http://www.tbns.net/knuckles/ :colonthree:

Third, yes... I can. :) Just let me know which new name you'd like. :bow:

(I've also moved past anime and manga for the most part (in the sense of being less focused solely on that), and now watch more things about the culture and J-dramas etc... but my interest in Japan in general has either stayed consistent or grown stronger throughout the years.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Gan » Tue 09.13.2011 3:46 am

ありがとう!

for the link and the welcome back. :)

If Gan is not taken, I'd like to request that. If that is not available then Roland should be fine. :D

(also, I still like anime and manga it's just I don't watch or read it as much, and I have also moved on to J-Drama's and such hehe)
Gan

Postby phreadom » Tue 09.13.2011 5:57 am

Gan wrote:If Gan is not taken, I'd like to request that.

Gan it is. :)

Gan wrote:(also, I still like anime and manga it's just I don't watch or read it as much, and I have also moved on to J-Drama's and such hehe)

I still watch Naruto every week, and recently started watching No.6 and Usagi Drop each week as well. :) Plus I read the new Naruto manga each week and Gantz when it occasionally comes out. So I haven't abandoned anime/manga... it's just not my focus anymore. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Gan » Wed 09.14.2011 11:03 pm

phreadom wrote:
Gan wrote:If Gan is not taken, I'd like to request that.

Gan it is. :)

Gan wrote:(also, I still like anime and manga it's just I don't watch or read it as much, and I have also moved on to J-Drama's and such hehe)

I still watch Naruto every week, and recently started watching No.6 and Usagi Drop each week as well. :) Plus I read the new Naruto manga each week and Gantz when it occasionally comes out. So I haven't abandoned anime/manga... it's just not my focus anymore. :)

ありがとう、phreadomーさん。 ^_^
Gan

Return to Introductions