Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about some of the newer games on the scene.

Question about some of the newer games on the scene.

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Question about some of the newer games on the scene.

Postby phreadom » Fri 09.16.2011 6:18 am

I know at least one other person here on TJP has played "Total War - Shogun 2" and really loved it... and I'm just starting it myself... but I also just saw another new release in the historical Japan genre today called "Sengoku"...

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/sengoku

I was wondering how many here have played these games, and what your opinions are about them? And also if there are other similar games that are personal favorites. :)

I really like the idea of getting a little more familiar with Japanese history through a game... so that I feel like I'm getting a little more out of it than just mindless entertainment. ;)

教えてください :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Question about some of the newer games on the scene.

Postby TheSlyPig » Tue 09.20.2011 5:38 pm

I hadn't heard of either of those before, but I'll definitely check them out! Thanks for the suggestions. :ninja:
TheSlyPig

Native language: English

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 09.20.2011 5:59 pm

I really like the idea of getting a little more familiar with Japanese history through a game... so that I feel like I'm getting a little more out of it than just mindless entertainment.

I think those kind of games can be misleading as far as historical fact is concerned. Even well acclaimed films such as 'the last Samurai' can give people the wrong picture (I personally love that film and I'm pretty sure most of it is pretty accurate. Well Tony is the person to ask about that kind of thing anyway) Is accuracy a big deal? I think it is, but playing Shogun Total War or Sengoku is still more educational than most other games Japanese related or not, so I guess its your call.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby phreadom » Tue 09.20.2011 6:17 pm

Well, even just by looking at the games themselves I learned what 戦国時代 actually meant. So now that's a part of my vocabulary. :) So even something as simple as that coming out of it is a net gain for me. ;) The rest is basically just adding general familiarity, not necessarily really accurate learning etc. I just think it's better than not doing anything at all, and Shogun 2 seems pretty "legit" from what I've read. They all have some flaws, but it's a far cry better than just playing a game like "Rise of Legends" for the millionth time. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 09.20.2011 6:22 pm

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Well, I've played the first Shogun Total War (pretty outdated now) and though I can't say there was that much to learn from it historically speaking, it was really cool to work with all the original domain names (as oppose to the modern prefectures) and I'm sorry if my comment sounded a bit negative :p I just wanted to warn you that's all :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby richvh » Wed 09.21.2011 4:26 pm

Having played previous Paradox games (Europa Universalis I and II, and Crusader Kings, and of those I think Crusader Kings is closest to Sengoku), the initial setup will be largely historical (with a few tweaks for balance.) You'll learn quite a bit about the historical kuni and daimyous ruling them at the various start positions, with probably some historical events thrown in for flavor; gameplay will quickly diverge from history.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby furrykef » Wed 09.28.2011 6:41 am

Ongakuka wrote:Even well acclaimed films such as 'the last Samurai' can give people the wrong picture (I personally love that film and I'm pretty sure most of it is pretty accurate.

Well, not really. For instance the entire premise of the film is fake. There was a real war between the samurai and the ruling class, but it wasn't anything like the film portrayed. In particular, by that point, in the real world, the samurai saw no shame in using firearms, and the West was not involved in the war, so Nathan wouldn't have been going to Japan in the first place and the events of the film wouldn't happen.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby richvh » Wed 05.02.2012 9:00 am

bodoga wrote:it's like it is almost always with hollywood movies - they are quite accurate with historical clothing and the surroundings, but the story is not exact. and what i also don't like that much are the hollywood like emotions and hero-scemes. but i enjoyed the movie a lot as good entertainment!

Except in this case they weren't accurate with historical clothing... both sides of the Satsuma Rebellion used Western style uniforms.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to Games