Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Lot of help needed (with video game translation).

Lot of help needed (with video game translation).

Do you have a translation question?

Lot of help needed (with video game translation).

Postby Niiko » Wed 09.14.2011 11:34 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and sorry for coming immediately here and start asking for help before introducing myself. Well, the thing is, I make videos showing how to beat different videogames and I intend to take on a game called Don Doko Don 2 that was never released outside Japan and that no one has done any kind of translation, at least I haven't found anything throughout the years, so, having a translation of the game's (scarce) dialogue could add something to my videos.

Don't worry though, I've tried myself and I think I've got most of the lines in the game translated (with the help of Google Translate and online dictionaries), except for a few ones that's where I ask for your help, also would appreciate if you can check the lines I've translated myself. The game only uses kana though, I'll be writing the lines like that (no kanji at all, and exactly like they appear in the game) and my translation in bold text, also, I add a link to a screenshot of the game so you can see the context where the line is said.

1)
きょうは おしろで
けっこんしき です
Today, there's a wedding at the castle
SCREENSHOT

2)
ふたりとも しあわせそう
The two of them are lucky (blessed?, happy?)
SCREENSHOT

3)
たいへんです
ワルワル だいおうに
(No idea here, though King Waruwaru (ワルワル だいおう) is the bad guy of the story)
SCREENSHOT

4)
コニーおうじが かえるに
されてしまいました
Prince Konii (not sure about the name) has been turned into a frog
SCREENSHOT

5)
もりのまほうつかいにたすけを
もとめした。。。
The witch of the forest was asked for help...
SCREENSHOT

6)
おうじを もとに
もどすには。。。
To turn back the prince to his original form...
SCREENSHOT

7)
5つのざいりょうが
ひつようじゃ
I'll need 5 elements (ingredients?)
SCREENSHOT

8)
はやくさがしに
いってきておくれ
Go and find them fast before it's too late (My problem here is with いってきておくれ, I've taken いって (go) and ておくれ (before it's too late) but left き in the air basically)
SCREENSHOT

9)
ドアをあけるには
カギがひつようじゃ
To open a door you'll need a key
SCREENSHOT

10)
ハンマーでスイッチをたたき
「カード」をそろえるのじゃ
Hit the switch with the hammer to arrange the cards
SCREENSHOT

11)
モンスターは 
うえにも なげれるよ!
You can throw monsters upwards!
SCREENSHOT

12)
おれさまが あいてだ
I'm your opponent
SCREENSHOT

13)
「マイムのはっぱ」
をてにいれた
Got "Mime's Leaves"
SCREENSHOT

14)
わるいけど じいさんは
きょうみないの
Sorry but, I don't see old men today (I'm not so sure about this one)
SCREENSHOT

15)
「あかしんじゅ」
をてにいれた
Got "Red Pearl"
SCREENSHOT

16)
ここまでくるとは
たいしたやつだ
This is as far as you go
SCREENSHOT

17)
「ドンドンかやく」
をてにいれた
(No idea what the item is, seems かやく has to do with spice or seasoning though)
SCREENSHOT

18)
ふじみのおれをたおすつもりか?
はっはっは
Do you plan to kill an immortal? Hahaha...
SCREENSHOT

19)
「つきのなみだ」
をてにいれた
Got "Moon's Tears"
SCREENSHOT

20)
こんなはずは。。。
くるってる くるってる
(No idea about this one, if it helps, the boss here is a cuckoo bird basically)
SCREENSHOT

21)
「じかんのあぶら」
をてにいれた
Got "Time Oil"
SCREENSHOT

22)
ざいりょうをとってきてくれたか
(Can't find the meaning of とってきてくれたか)
SCREENSHOT

23)
これでぜんぶじゃ
This is all... (This one comes after the witch says the name of the 5 ingredients)
SCREENSHOT

24)
おうじもこれで
もとにもどるじゃろ
...I need to turn the prince back to normal
SCREENSHOT

25)
せっかくだが
そうはさせん
(no idea about this one)
SCREENSHOT

26)
おうじを もとに
もどさせはしない
The prince won't get back to normal
SCREENSHOT

27)
そのこえは
「ワルワル だいおう」
This voice...King Waruwaru
SCREENSHOT

28)
このたまをつかって
やつをたおしのじゃ
Use this ball to defeat him
SCREENSHOT

29)
メアリーおうじょはおれさまの
ものだ! じゃまはさせない
Princess Mary is mine! Don't bother me (Kinda unsure here)
SCREENSHOT

30)
しょうぶは これからだ
The fight begins now
SCREENSHOT

31)
「まほうのくすり」
をとりもどした
Recovered "Magical Medicine"
SCREENSHOT

32)
ありがとう
あなたのおかげで
Thank you, thanks to you...
SCREENSHOT

33)
「メアリーランド」に。。。
へいわがもどりました
...peace has returned to Mary Land
SCREENSHOT

34)
これはわたしからのおれいです。
うけとってください。
This a sign of gratitude from me. Please accept it
SCREENSHOT

Well, that's all, any help is welcomed and appreciated and I apologize if it seems too much text, but at the very least I'd like you to help me with the ones I couldn't translate.
Niiko

Native language: Español

Re: Lot of help needed (with video game translation).

Postby phreadom » Thu 09.15.2011 3:13 am

You might want to consider adding your work with this game to the "Learning Languages Through Video Games" website. :D

http://www.lltvg.com/wiki/Main_Page

This seems like something right up their alley, and would definitely be a nice addition to that website. (It's run by one of the users here, furrykef. :) So I'm sure there's no problem working on it here... it'll be fun for all of us! But it could probably find a nice "home" there along with all the other Japanese game translations.)

(Personally I was excited that I could read and understand the first screenshot about the wedding at the castle! I'm such a newbie, but it's still exciting! :dance: )
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.16.2011 8:26 am

Here's what leaps out at me at a glance:

2)
ふたりとも しあわせそう
SCREENSHOT

"The two seem to be happy."

3)
たいへんです
ワルワル だいおうに
SCREENSHOT

4)
コニーおうじが かえるに
されてしまいました
SCREENSHOT

After the たいへんです, it's all one sentence. "It's terrible! Prince Konii was turned into a frog by King Waruwaru!

5)
もりのまほうつかいにたすけを
もとめした。。。
The witch of the forest was asked for help...
SCREENSHOT

もとめした should be もとめました. Also, it's not passive, so a faithful translation would be "They asked the witch of the forest for help". It's rare that a verb not in the passive form has a passive meaning.

By the way, a better way of writing an ellipsis is this: ・・・

7)
5つのざいりょうが
ひつようじゃ
I'll need 5 elements (ingredients?)
SCREENSHOT

I'd go with "ingredients".

8)
はやくさがしに
いってきておくれ
Go and find them fast before it's too late (My problem here is with いってきておくれ, I've taken いって (go) and ておくれ (before it's too late) but left き in the air basically)
SCREENSHOT

The きて is from くる. いってくる = to go somewhere (いく) and return (くる). You probably know the phrase いってきます; this is where it comes from.

I think おくれ is just くれ (imperative of くれる, basically a less formal ください) with a preceding お as an honorific. I don't recall having seen this construction before, but it's about the only way it makes sense to me.

So put it together and it just means, "Quickly, go look for them and come back!" Though いってくる is often just translated as "go" in English, since we don't say "go and come back" nearly as often as Japanese say いってくる.

10)
ハンマーでスイッチをたたき
「カード」をそろえるのじゃ
Hit the switch with the hammer to arrange the cards
SCREENSHOT

The sentence doesn't explicitly say that one causes the other. It's more like "hit the switch with the hammer and arrange the cards" -- perhaps hitting the switches does arrange them, but perhaps they're two different steps. (I'm sure the context clarifies this at the appropriate time.)

11)
モンスターは 
うえにも なげれるよ!
You can throw monsters upwards!
SCREENSHOT

Don't forget the も: "You can even throw monsters upwards!"

14)
わるいけど じいさんは
きょうみないの
SCREENSHOT

It's actually 興味ない: "I have no interest in old men."

16)
ここまでくるとは
たいしたやつだ
This is as far as you go
SCREENSHOT

Hmm. I don't understand this one.

18)
ふじみのおれをたおすつもりか?
はっはっは
SCREENSHOT

The おれ needn't be left out of the translation: "Do you intend to kill me, an immortal?"

22)
ざいりょうをとってきてくれたか
SCREENSHOT

とってくる = bring (literally "hold and come"), so "Did you bring the ingredients?"

おうじもこれで
もとにもどるじゃろ
SCREENSHOT

"With this, the prince should return to normal."

25)
せっかくだが
そうはさせん
(no idea about this one)
SCREENSHOT

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you do that."

させん basically means させない, the negative causative of する.

This reminds me of one of the most classic video game lines of all time (though I'm not sure the Japanese version is nearly as well known): そうはさせるか! スターフォックス!! ("Can't let you do that, Star Fox!" -- or more literally "[Do you think] we'd let you do that, Star Fox?")

26)
おうじを もとに
もどさせはしない
SCREENSHOT

"I will not allow you to return the prince to normal."

The grammar is a bit unfamiliar to me... I haven't seen this はしない before, but I assume the は is the topic particle and しない is the negative of する.

29)
メアリーおうじょはおれさまの
ものだ! じゃまはさせない
SCREENSHOT

"Princess Mary is mine! I won't let you get in my way!" [thanks Yudan; I'd initially screwed this up a bit]
Last edited by furrykef on Fri 09.16.2011 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 09.16.2011 8:28 am

furrykef beat me to the punch but I'll add some comments at the two places he was unsure about.

Niiko wrote:2)
ふたりとも しあわせそう
SCREENSHOT

"Happy". I'm not sure I've seen しあわせ used to mean "lucky".

3)
たいへんです
ワルワル だいおうに
SCREENSHOT

4)
コニーおうじが かえるに
されてしまいました
SCREENSHOT

These two are one sentence; the に in the first one shows the agent of the passive verb. "Oh no! King Konii has been turned into a frog by King Waruwaru!"

8)
はやくさがしに
いってきておくれ
SCREENSHOT

いって - go
きて - come back
おくれ - please

14)
わるいけど じいさんは
きょうみないの
SCREENSHOT

興味ない - no interest (I have no interest in old men)

16)
ここまでくるとは
たいしたやつだ
This is as far as you go
SCREENSHOT

You're pretty good to make it this far. (たいした is literally "great")

17)
「ドンドンかやく」
をてにいれた
(No idea what the item is, seems かやく has to do with spice or seasoning though)
SCREENSHOT

火薬 = gunpowder, bomb ドンドン = sound of bomb

18)
ふじみのおれをたおすつもりか?
はっはっは
SCREENSHOT

You really think you can kill an immortal like me? (つもり can mean "plan to" or "be under the impression that something is the case" -- here it's the latter)

20)
こんなはずは。。。
くるってる くるってる
(No idea about this one, if it helps, the boss here is a cuckoo bird basically)
SCREENSHOT

It can't be...

22)
ざいりょうをとってきてくれたか
SCREENSHOT

Same as above:
てくる = do something and come back
てくれる = do something as a favor/please

24)
おうじもこれで
もとにもどるじゃろ
SCREENSHOT

There's no "need" here, it's just "The prince should turn back to normal now."

25)
せっかくだが
そうはさせん
(no idea about this one)
SCREENSHOT

You went through all that trouble, but I can't allow it to happen.

26)
おうじを もとに
もどさせはしない
SCREENSHOT

I won't let you turn the prince back to normal.

させはしない is the same as させない; if you want to use は with a negative verb you have to "cleft" it and change it to させ + しない. You see the same sort of thing in constructions like 高くはない or regular verbs 食べはしない etc.

29)
メアリーおうじょはおれさまの
ものだ! じゃまはさせない
SCREENSHOT

I won't let you get in my way!

30)
しょうぶは これからだ
The fight begins now
SCREENSHOT

Usually this is said during the fight, it basically has the feeling of "I'll show you my true power now."
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.16.2011 8:34 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:furrykef beat me to the punch but I'll add some comments at the two places he was unsure about.

I actually would have beaten you to it much earlier, too, except Firefox ate my post halfway through (which it hasn't done in ages -- even when a crash occurs while I'm writing) and I had to start over. D'oh!

Thanks, though. You caught a couple of things I didn't. It's also nice to know I mostly got it right.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby Niiko » Fri 09.16.2011 5:55 pm

Thanks to the both of you, Yudan Taiteki and Furrykef, I really appreciate it. I'm still at a very early stage of learning japanese, I can only read kana (though if I have to write them I probably won't remember how they are), recognize some kanji and I have a pretty basic vocabulary but unfortunately I'm not really fond of "textbook" studying so I just learn like this, bit by bit, more of a "learning by experience" method or just try to learn it as we all learn our native languages, it took me like 15 years to be fluent in English this way and probably will take me longer for Japanese but I feel it's worth it since it feels more natural once you've learned it.
Niiko

Native language: Español

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.16.2011 7:55 pm

I'd say you did pretty darn well, then! It took me a long time until I had enough confidence to play through a game in Japanese and translate all the dialogue.

Naturally, I second phreadom's suggestion of lltvg.com, but I'm biased since I run the place. :P If this is all the text in the game then I can go ahead and put this up as an entry if you don't mind.

By the way, I didn't notice this part of your post:
I think I've got most of the lines in the game translated (with the help of Google Translate and online dictionaries)

I wouldn't use Google Translate for anything ever, at least when it comes to Japanese. A better idea is to use Rikaichan if you use Firefox. You can mouseover the words and it will give you a range of possible translations; usually the correct translation is in the list. I use it extensively when I'm working on LLTVG. If you use Chrome, there might be a Rikaichan-like add-on for it by now.

One small failing of Rikaichan, though, is that it doesn't recognize grammar of dialectical forms. For instance it wouldn't recognize the させん that I discussed earlier. So with those you've got to memorize them and when you think you see them you've got to translate them to some kind of equivalent (like させない) to look them up. But, of course, other dictionaries and Google Translate will be no help there either, so that weakness is hardly specific to Rikaichan.
furrykef

Postby furrykef » Fri 09.16.2011 8:04 pm

I'd say you did pretty darn well, then! It took me a long time until I had enough confidence to play through a game in Japanese and translate all the dialogue.

Naturally, I second phreadom's suggestion of lltvg.com, but I'm biased since I run the place. :P If this is all the text in the game then I can go ahead and put this up as an entry if you don't mind.

By the way, I didn't notice this part of your post:
I think I've got most of the lines in the game translated (with the help of Google Translate and online dictionaries)

I wouldn't use Google Translate for anything ever, at least when it comes to Japanese (but I've seen it make hilarious blunders with other languages too). A better idea is to use Rikaichan if you use Firefox. You can mouseover the words and it will give you a range of possible translations; usually the correct translation is in the list. I use it extensively when I'm working on LLTVG. If you use Chrome, there might be a Rikaichan-like add-on for it by now.

One small failing of Rikaichan, though, is that it doesn't recognize grammar of dialectical forms. For instance it wouldn't recognize the させん that I discussed earlier. So with those you've got to memorize them and when you think you see them you've got to translate them to some kind of equivalent (like させない) to look them up. But, of course, other dictionaries and Google Translate will be no help there either, so that weakness is hardly specific to Rikaichan.
furrykef

Postby phreadom » Sat 09.17.2011 8:57 am

furrykef wrote:A better idea is to use Rikaichan if you use Firefox. You can mouseover the words and it will give you a range of possible translations; usually the correct translation is in the list. I use it extensively when I'm working on LLTVG. If you use Chrome, there might be a Rikaichan-like add-on for it by now.

It's called Rikaikun. :)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fpcebammhp
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion