Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 図書館には本がどのくらいありますか

図書館には本がどのくらいありますか

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

図書館には本がどのくらいありますか

Postby yangmuye » Tue 09.20.2011 8:28 am

How many book are there in the libraryは日本語でどういいますか。
1)図書館には本がどのくらいありますか
2)図書館には本はどのくらいありますか
3)図書館に本はどのくらいありますか
4)図書館に本がどのくらいありますか

(1)(2)はどちらも見たことがあります。
(3)は見たことがありませんが、「日本に図書館はどのくらいありますか」は見たことがあります。
(4)は教科書スタイルのやりとりで出るかもしれません。

また、「図書館に」を「図書館で」という言い方も見ましたが、正しいですか。
yangmuye

Native language: Chinese

Re: 図書館には本がどのくらいありますか

Postby NileCat » Tue 09.20.2011 9:06 am

As you know, Japanese is a high context language.
It is hard to tell which is better although each of those four sentences is correct.

But I’d say 図書館で sounds off in any case.
:)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby yangmuye » Tue 09.20.2011 9:41 am

あいまいの質問ですみません。

How many book are there in the libraryのような質問なら、アンケート調査、また、Q&Aのような場合しか思いつきませんでした。例えば

貴方の学校には図書館はありますか(はい いいえ)
図書館には本がどのくらいありますか(>1000冊、>5000冊、>10000冊)

Q:図書館はありますか
A:はい。あります。(どこからどういけば着きますなど)
Q:図書館には本?どのくらいありますか
A:日本語の本は…、電子書籍は…
yangmuye

Postby NileCat » Tue 09.20.2011 10:16 am

In that case, I personally think, は would sound slightly more natural because the first question was started with は. It would sound more “general/neutral” question. が is usually used to put some accent on something. In this case I'd say が would give some impression that the question is slightly more specific.
NileCat

Postby yangmuye » Tue 09.20.2011 11:10 am

The difference between が and は is always confusing me. :doh:

So 図書館にどのくらいありますか sounds more general/neutral, and
図書館にどのくらいありますか is more specific on the amount of "book"?
In either case, we should use は after 図書館に?
yangmuye

Postby NileCat » Tue 09.20.2011 11:39 am

Yes. I think so.
The nuance of が (and the choice of には after 図書館) would somewhat differ depending on the context, however, in this specific case, that is the idea.
NileCat

Postby yangmuye » Tue 09.20.2011 12:10 pm

ありがとうございました
yangmuye

Postby NileCat » Tue 09.20.2011 12:58 pm

My pleasure, yangmuye.

Well, this might be totally off-topic but I think we should be careful when we discuss about “something sounds natural” in any language. I know you’re not a beginner, (actually I guess you’ve already got N1), and I think you know what I mean.

Seemingly natural Q&As on the textbooks do not necessarily sound natural in our real life, and vice versa, I guess. Honestly speaking, I’m still not that confident when I’m expected to tell you like “that sounds more natural” or something like that.

In many of Japanese schools, years ago, the first sentence on their first English textbook was “This is a pen”. And we learned the question form, which was “Is this a pen?” And I remember there was a picture of a pen on the page.
I sometimes can’t help but think this question is stupid. A pen which looks like a pen is nothing except for a pen, isn’t it? In the next chapter, we learned a sentence like “I am a boy”. Teacher asked us going “are you a boy?”, and we had to answer. But the “correct “ answer was not “Hey, dude! Do I look like a girl?”
I’m not sure if this episode has something to do with the difference between が and は, but nuance-wise, これはペンですか? sounds stupid to me whereas これがペンですか!? seems ok to me if the picture on the page DOESN’T look like a pen. It could be translated like “Is this object totally doesn’t look like a pen really a pen!?”

Here’s my favorite joke. (I'm not sure if there is a connection with the topic, though)

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson were going camping. They pitched their tent under the stars and went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes woke Watson up and said: “Watson, look up at the stars, and tell me what you see.”

Watson replied: “I see millions and millions of stars.”

Holmes said: “and what do you deduce from that?”

Watson replied: “Well, if there are millions of stars, and if even a few of those have planets, it’s quite likely there are some planets like earth out there. And if there are a few planets like earth out there, there might also be life.”

And Holmes said: “Watson, you idiot, it means that somebody stole our tent.”
:D
NileCat

Postby yangmuye » Wed 09.21.2011 4:01 am

NileCat、英語が苦手すぎて日本語で書いてすみません。

初めて日本語に触れてから二年間になりましたが、たいてい日本語の文章を見たり、日本語のサイトを見たりしたぐらいで、N4に受かる自信もありません。

よく外国人の方から中国語の質問がありましたが、答えられなかったのが大抵です。母語の質問を訊かれる方の気持ちはよくわかります。

中国語でも、英語でも、How many books are there in the libraryのような質問文はコンテキストにはあまりよらず、会話の始めに現れるとしてもかまいませんが、なぜ日本語では違う訊き方をするのでしょうか。
 そして、もしこの様な質問があったら、単に知りたいために訊くのが普通でしょう。Yahoo知恵袋で検索したら、よく「~(には)~(が・は)どのくらいありますか」のような質問が出てきますが、タイトルしかない質問も少なくないです。
 私はきっと違いがあるんだろうと思っていますが、どこが違うのかとても納得できないのです。

つまり、この質問は、「この言い方は自然ですか」より、むしろ「この言い方で表せる意味はどのくらいありますか、そして何でしょうか」「この漢字にはいくらの意味がありますか」に近いのです。参考書や専門家に訊くべきですが、仕方なく、皆さんにきくしかないのです。

非常に曖昧な質問をしてしまって、本当にすみませんが、今後なるべくコンテキストを明確にするように致します。m(__)m
yangmuye

Postby NileCat » Wed 09.21.2011 10:46 am

Yangmuyeさん、失礼しました :)

「が/は」や「に/には」の使い分けは本当に難しいと思います。私自身、無意識に使い分けているようなのですが、あらためて考えてみると、「絶対にこうだ」と言える法則性は実はないのではないかとさえ思います。と言うのは、文脈や意味だけでなく、文のリズムや、同音の重複を避けるといった要素も関係してくるからです。
いろいろな物を読んで、感覚的につかんでいくのが一番良いのではないかと、個人的には思います。

もちろんこれは、yangmuyeさんが初心者ではないことを前提とした話です。基礎的な「は/が」の機能については、教科書や参考書には必ず書いてあると思います。Tae Kim’s Guide にも簡単な説明がありますね。http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/particlesintro 

あまりお役にたてず申し訳ない。 :bow:
NileCat

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 09.22.2011 10:05 am

文法のため、この本は非常に詳しいと思う:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C ... 137&sr=8-3
(日本語文型辞典という名前で、中国語版もあるみたいです。)

まあ、どの辞書でも「には/は」の使い分けは完全に説明できないんです。

你的英国一定比我的中国好。:)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Setaceau » Sun 09.25.2011 11:21 am

図書館には本がどのくらいありますか?が一番Natural です。

"The library" is translated to 図書館 in Japanese usually. In Japanese, you doesn't need to add "the" usually, but if you want to inform it, you can add その, あの, この.

How can Japanese understand which 図書館 is "the library" or "a library"?
図書館には本がどのくらいありますか?
In this case, perhaps we know the library already, in this school, in this building, the nearest one, etc.
I can guess the questioner is a visitor or someone who came to the place recently, right?
If the visitor said suddenly 図書館には, we can guess the library might near there (at least we should know it). には has some enhanced nuance. Therefor we can feel the 図書館 might be specific one.
If the visitor said 図書館に, we would confuse which it means the nearest library or an ordinary average library (in Japan)? If it was an ordinary mean, the answer would be "It's depends on."^^; It might be a meaningless question. grammatically natural but meaning is not natural.

Next point is 本が. Yes, 本が is suitable, because books in the library is too obvious. Of course, in the library, there are books^^; If the visitor used 本は in the library, it would sound strange.

If the visitor asked about something else, except books, は could be used.
この図書館にはオーディオブックは どのくらいありますか? It's natural, because the library might not have any audiobooks, right?

I can guess は has some distance from subject and some sort of declare nuance, you don't need to declare about 本 in the library.
In contrast, が has no distance from subject and some sort of direct nuance.
私は先生です。It has a neutral nuance. Only declaring the truth. Spotlight is on 先生 part. 私は has the nuance that I am only one of them.
私が先生です。It has a strong nuance like I have a responsibility in this school. Spotlight is on 私 part. 私が has the nuance that I am a special someone.

If I feel some distance between I and teacher, (because it's only one of job,) I use は.
If I don't feel any distance between books and library, I use が.

If you want to take a distance from a truth, 私は知らない。We never say
私が知らない。We only use this sentence 私が知らないだけで他の人は知っているの?
But we say 私が知っている。 (I know it and others might not know it.)
私は知っている。 (I know it and others might know it too).
If you felt you have some responsibility, 私がやりました。申し訳ありません。
Spotlight is on 私.
If you said 私はやりました。It sounds like you accomplished something big job, and you want to declare it. Spotlight is on やりました。

S+は: Subject did special (Spotlight is not on subject)
More exactly, in my image, when someone said 私は、Spotlight would be on 私, and we would expect next word, once someone said something next word, spotlight would turn to the word.

S+が: Subject is special (Spotlight is on subject) If this type sentence sounds like declaring, the sentence will make the subject important, not verb or object.
Setaceau

Postby yangmuye » Sun 09.25.2011 12:51 pm

Setaceauさん、Yudan Taitekiさん、NileCat、ご回答ありがとうございました。返事が遅れてすみません。

「は」についての研究は多いですが、外国人にとってうまく納得が行くのは少ないようで、今でも難題です。

Yudan Taitekiさんが薦めの日本語文型辞典はもう見つけました。読み終わるまでにはまだ時間がかかります。

Setaceauさん, Thank you for you wonderful explanation. It will still take me some time before I can understand the nuance of は.

Thank you everyone for your help.
yangmuye

Postby NileCat » Sun 09.25.2011 2:08 pm

By the way, Chris, I'm very glad to see you again! :)
NileCat

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 09.26.2011 7:37 am

NileCat wrote:By the way, Chris, I'm very glad to see you again! :)

どうもどうも。 :)

日本に戻ったので、TJPに戻るようにしました。
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems