Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can you buy nattou in amerika?

Can you buy nattou in amerika?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Can you buy nattou in amerika?

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Thu 06.16.2011 7:31 am

Just wondering, I live in the united states and want to try it. I live in Massachusetts more specifically. Help appreciated :D
ダラゴスちゃん

Native language: 英語

Re: Can you buy nattou in amerika?

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 06.16.2011 9:28 am

You may be able to find it at an Asian market or grocery store in your area, but FSM only knows why you'd want to. It smells like your dirty uncle's stinky socks after a hard day of walking and the taste isn't much better. ( I may be biased though.) :mrgreen:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Wed 09.21.2011 8:15 pm

And so well after a month of searching in my area, I can't find one near chinatown. Go figure...

Online nattou sources aren't really great either. All websites that carry nattou I've seen they have shipping of 10 USD or more. The last one I checked out had a shipping price of a whopping 26 dollars!!

I am understandably frustrated...
ダラゴスちゃん

Postby phreadom » Wed 09.21.2011 8:26 pm

I had some recently while visiting my cousin out of town... admittedly it's one of the bigger towns in the state, but I would think that a good Asian market in a bigger city might have it.

I don't think I'd be able to buy it here in town... but it's only about a 40 minute drive from here to the market he bought everything at for our Japanese dinner. :) (I still have the main makings for "real" miso soup that I picked up on that trip)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 09.22.2011 7:30 am

I was only ever able to find it in one Japanese grocery store; the general "asian" (i.e. Chinese) grocery stores didn't have it. Which is not surprising since it's not really eaten outside of Japan.

(Now I'm back in Japan and can enjoy natto every day again for 30 yen or so a cup. :D )
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Thu 09.22.2011 10:07 am

I suppose I should clarify that this Asian store we went to had a specifically Japanese aisle, etc. They carried a range of foods from different Asian markets... like Korean, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc (if I remember correctly).

The reason I don't think I'd be able to find it here locally, is that while we do have some "Asian" food stores, they're generally Chinese or Vietnamese etc... but I don't think there are any specifically Japanese, or that even necessarily carry Japanese specific goods.

When a friend of mine in Japan was back visiting here, he and his wife (who is Japanese) mentioned that there is a Japanese woman here in town who is part of the sister cities program or something to that effect. They told me I should get in touch with her. So I might try doing that... since I think that would not only be a lot of fun, but probably a great way to learn more about what Japanese oriented restaurants, markets, etc there might be in this area.

I just created another thread about the sister cities programs as well. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ダラゴスちゃん » Sun 09.25.2011 11:31 am

Thanks!

I really wonder if there's a way to try it here. I have not been able to find one. Online prices are okay, but shipping would only be worth it if I were ordering it in bulk. My stepmom works at verizon, the closest Asian stores are in chinatown in boston. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone there who would sell it, it is chinatown after all, not japantown.

And I'm afraid if I try it in a restaurant I'll embarrass myself and the cooks there. I don't want that.... Oh I'm at a loss of what to do!
ダラゴスちゃん

Return to Japanese General Discussion