Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

The Last Guardian

Postby TheSlyPig » Sun 09.25.2011 1:36 am

I'm sure most of you have heard of Shadow of the Colossus, which was IMO the best PS2 game. The Last Guardian is being made by the same group who made SotC and Ico, and will come out for PS3 in 2012 sometime. I don't know about you guys, but I'm considering buying a PS3 almost solely for this game (a few others too, such as Heavy Rain). What have you guys heard?
TheSlyPig

Native language: English

Re: The Last Guardian

Postby Hyperworm » Sun 09.25.2011 5:07 pm

I'm not sure there's much to hear right now. As far as I know, there only two trailers have been shown, with no gameplay footage.
I'm really looking forward to it, though. I've never played Ico or SotC, but I'll be fixing that in a couple weeks with the HD collection ( no spoilers please :D )

A word of caution against buying hardware solely for software which isn't out yet. Early purchasers of the 3DS were "rewarded" by a huge price drop shortly after launch and rumors of a redesigned system with a second slide pad. Of course, the PS3 has been out a while, so it's a bit different... but the point is, you never know what a hardware manufacturer is going to do in between the time you buy the machine and the time you really want to use it ^^; Bundles, themed systems, bigger HDDs, etc...
Of course if you can make good use of the system in the meantime you won't regret it :)

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain. I'd played Fahrenheit(/Indigo Prophecy) beforehand, so buying it wasn't a hard decision. :)
Some of my other favorites exclusive to the system are MGS4, Katamari Forever, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, and the HD version of the visual novel Umineko no Naku Koro ni. The last three are all getting sequels within a few months.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby micahcowan » Tue 09.27.2011 8:10 pm

The last word was that it would be released in 2012. No real word on when in 2012, and the date has already slipped a few times from what it originally was going to be (I think the original date may have been summer of last year?). But yeah, I'm very much looking forward to it as well.

ICO and SotC were just released yesterday for the PS3 (in a single disc), of course, with improved graphics and support for 3D - and loads of "making of" specials and whatnot. I have a 3D TV, and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Heavy Rain is great, but be warned that you will finish it in no time at all, and it's not really all that fun to replay (though of course there are a variety of possible endings depending on which characters survived to the end of the game). Beautiful and immersive, though, and definitely worth playing, but probably not a reason to buy the PS3 by itself.

Like Hyperworm, I recommend Demon's Souls. There's a sequel planned for that as well, next year probably. Also, from the online store, definitely get Limbo. A short but incredible puzzle-platform adventure.

There's a frustrating lack of solid RPGs and Adventure games on the PS3. My impression is that this is not specific to the PS3, but I can't really say for sure since I don't own a 360. Ever since Square Enix stopped being good at what they do, no one else seems to have stepped up to kick their asses. Meanwhile, adventure-genre games seem to have found their place as downloadables, but of course this means that they are invariably too short to be really satisfying. So I spend a lot of my gaming time playing old favorites... *sigh*
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 09.27.2011 11:27 pm

Next year? Dark Souls is out already in Japan, everywhere else in October :)

micahcowan wrote:from the online store, definitely get Limbo. A short but incredible puzzle-platform adventure.
Limbo has an awesome aesthetic and great gameplay, but it is really short. I felt a little short-changed after paying the UK launch price for it (£9? £10?), despite the fun I had. I was really getting into it, and then it was over. Just a few hours. :(

micahcowan wrote:There's a frustrating lack of solid RPGs and Adventure games on the PS3. My impression is that this is not specific to the PS3, but I can't really say for sure since I don't own a 360. Ever since Square Enix stopped being good at what they do, no one else seems to have stepped up to kick their asses. Meanwhile, adventure-genre games seem to have found their place as downloadables, but of course this means that they are invariably too short to be really satisfying. So I spend a lot of my gaming time playing old favorites... *sigh*
Could you give some examples of the types of games that you're referring to when you say "Adventure"? It's a rather broad term.

PS3 does feel starved for (J)RPGs. The two big names when it comes to non-SE JRPGs on PS3 are probably the "Tales of" franchise and Disgaea. Personally, I don't really feel like playing either of them...

Tales of: The newest one is Tales of Xillia, just released on PS3 in Japan. I played all the way through Symphonia and enjoyed it, but, after playing a few hours of Innocence and seeing Vesperia in action, I think that's enough for me. It's a combination of the
  • real-time battle system (they vary it each game, but it feels like I've seen it all before, and I prefer to have to strategize);
  • plot (generally a little too serious and complex with political alliances, churches, etc... YMMV...); and
  • characters (なんか、萌えキャラ満載なのに、全然萌えない…というか何というか…).
I think it's a good series, but, not for me. It just doesn't seem to be the style of RPG I want to play.

Disgaea: Disgaea 4 will be out in all territories by the start of November. I think I'm actually becoming overwhelmed by how much content there is, at this point. >_>; Playing Disgaea 3, I felt like I wasn't making much of a dent of progress in the game when I played it. Especially the Item World etc., I don't feel like I'm achieving much, and it seems to take ages. I don't know how I've managed to turn "packed with content" into a negative. I probably wouldn't be suited to MMOs.

Looking elsewhere on PS3... Ni no Kuni is coming to PS3 this year in Japanese, probably next year in English. I predict it will be far too easy. It looks absolutely gorgeous though.

I'm thinking about picking up 超次元ゲイムネプテューヌmk2 at Xmas, because I'm starting to miss standard turn-based RPGs <_< The Japanese impression seems to be positive, that it's a vast improvement over the original.

It seems like portables are the real platform for RPGs at the minute. There's plenty of all kinds on DS and PSP, and 3DS looks set to continue the trend (Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Kingdom Hearts).
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.29.2011 1:25 am

Hyperworm wrote:
from the online store, definitely get Limbo. A short but incredible puzzle-platform adventure.
Limbo has an awesome aesthetic and great gameplay, but it is really short. I felt a little short-changed after paying the UK launch price for it (£9? £10?), despite the fun I had. I was really getting into it, and then it was over. Just a few hours. :(

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm getting used to such crushingly short-changing, short games. All the best games I've played in the last couple years seem to fall into that category, including Heavy Rain (though admittedly, Limbo is at least a bit shorter even than usual).

There's a frustrating lack of solid RPGs and Adventure games on the PS3 [and elsewhere]...
Could you give some examples of the types of games that you're referring to when you say "Adventure"? It's a rather broad term.

It is, and yet, even taken as such a broad category, I feel my statement stands. Both on PS3s and everywhere else. I really miss the great old days of game "experiences" that really just sort of open your mind to a sense of wonder. Limbo does that, if only briefly. Among the sorts of games I miss the most, are things like (mostly PC) The Longest Journey, Syberia, any of the Myst games (except perhaps the final one, End of Ages), all the wonderful LucasArts adventures like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and (especially) The Dig (written by Orson Scott Card!). At least a few of the more modern(-ish) shooters, like HL2 and Bioshock were very adventure-like in their sense of wonder and story (even if they weren't technically adventures), but I haven't been able to get into any of the sequels/episodes that followed them.

I can't actually think of any adventures on PS3 worth mentioning, apart from Limbo, the Sam and Max adventures (yay retro! ...but I was never that into Sam and Max actually - but these are still good games worth mentioning, and I enjoyed them), and Trine (if that counts?). Demon Souls probably falls more into RPG, though I rather imagine it defies classification somewhat.

Looking elsewhere on PS3... Ni no Kuni is coming to PS3 this year in Japanese, probably next year in English. I predict it will be far too easy. It looks absolutely gorgeous though.

Yeah, I'm such a Ghibli fanboy, there's no doubt I'll be getting it. The only question is whether I'll get the Japanese version, or the English - hard to decide, because I know my kids will want to join in the fun. I may wait for the English, and then decide based on whether the US version also lets you play in Japanese... that'd be neat. IIRC FFXIII let you do that, but I can't remember for sure.
micahcowan

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.29.2011 4:35 pm

I did miss a couple other adventures worth mentioning: Beyond Good and Evil (another port from PS2 - I can't get as into it today as I did then), and Stacking by Double Fine (who created one of my favorite PS2 action-adventures, Psychonauts.
micahcowan

Return to Games