Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - こんばんわ みなさん! Only hiragana and kata

こんばんわ みなさん! Only hiragana and kata

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

こんばんわ みなさん! Only hiragana and kata

Postby Randis94e » Mon 10.03.2011 2:31 pm

Helloo TJP!!
I'm a student in Sweden who've just started studying japanese, started to take lessons. I've done some homestudying before that but that only involved practicing hiragana and katakana. But in class we're going through some grammar, and it's a bit hard in the beginning. I need to practice my Japanese by using it as much as possible, especially building sentence and come to understand how the grammar works. So, I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as I am and wants to practice over the internet. Thought, perhaps most people think that it would be better to practice with someone who already speaks the language, and I do agree with that. But wouldn't it be fun to practicing with someone on the same level as your self? Try to help each other and learn from each other.
Of course I'm open for help from already-japanese-speaking members as well! :)
Thanks, and good luck with your studies!
/Randis
Randis94e

Native language: Swedish

Re: こんばんわ みなさん! Only hiragana and kata

Postby ☆リサ☆ » Tue 10.04.2011 1:07 am

こんにちは!
I would like to study Japanese with you. I am not a complete beginner to the language and I have done the same things as you (reading books and taking some lessons)
I would like someone to study grammar with and I know all the ひらがな and カタカナ. I'm new to kanji too!
☆リサ☆

Native language: English

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 10.04.2011 6:50 pm

Randis94e wrote:-

First tip would be to use は at the end of konnichiwa. It rarely functions in such a way but it's pronounced "Wah" in that word. :wink:
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby phreadom » Tue 10.04.2011 7:20 pm

Shiroisan wrote:
Randis94e wrote:-

First tip would be to use は at the end of konnichiwa. It rarely functions in such a way but it's pronounced "Wah" in that word. :wink:

You mean konbanwa. ;) こんばんは

☆リサ☆ wrote こんにちは and spelled that correctly. :bow:

Either way, Randisさん, Shiriosan is correct in stating that for both こんにちは and こんばんは, the end "wa" sound is actually the particle は, which is pronounced "wa".

Think of it like "kon ban wa" and "kon nichi wa", where kon means "this" in both, "ban" means "evening", "nichi" means "day", and the "wa" is just the は particle that basically means "as for this..."

So you end up with a sort of literal "as for this day" and "as for this evening"... which have become standard greetings, which even the Japanese sometimes write with a わ since it's more thought of as a single word than a phrase these days (in my ignorant opinion). :mrgreen: But yes, the correct way to write them is in fact with the は at the end. :bow: (and hey, you got みなさん right! I messed that one up way back on one of my first forum posts hehehe. We all make mistakes!)

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... 380#p81380
http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... 381#p81381

This all leads back to my signature on here... 猿も木から落ちる (which is "saru mo ki kara ochiru"... which means "even the monkey falls from the tree"... which means that even the best of us sometimes make mistakes, even at something we're very skilled at.)

So again, welcome to TJP and keep at it! TJPへようこそ!がんばってね! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby micahcowan » Wed 10.05.2011 2:25 pm

Shiroisan wrote:First tip would be to use は at the end of konnichiwa. It rarely functions in such a way but it's pronounced "Wah" in that word. :wink:

Rarely? At least every other sentence I read (probably more) uses は in that way.

Or maybe you just mean "when it's part of a word" (since you used the word "word")... if that's the case, then it's important to understand that こんにちは and こんばんは aren't really single words; the は is the topic-marker particle, just as it always is when it's pronounced "wa". It's basically the beginning of a sentence that just doesn't get finished. "Today..." or "This evening...".
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 10.05.2011 7:21 pm

micahcowan wrote:
Shiroisan wrote:First tip would be to use は at the end of konnichiwa. It rarely functions in such a way but it's pronounced "Wah" in that word. :wink:

Rarely? At least every other sentence I read (probably more) uses は in that way.

Or maybe you just mean "when it's part of a word" (since you used the word "word")... if that's the case, then it's important to understand that こんにちは and こんばんは aren't really single words; the は is the topic-marker particle, just as it always is when it's pronounced "wa". It's basically the beginning of a sentence that just doesn't get finished. "Today..." or "This evening...".

It's probably just my personal way of thinking that works for me, but I consider lots of Japanese phrases that are equivalent to a singular english word or idea a "word". Like...:
なければいけません。
あたまがいい
のほうが
ことがある

and as you know は is rarely used for joining to make a singular idea or term like が often is.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Return to Introductions