Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "その夜おそく"

"その夜おそく"

Do you have a translation question?

"その夜おそく"

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.09.2011 2:36 am

その夜おそく、おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました

can someone please tell me how sono yoru osoku works?

I understand that it should mean "late that night" because it's the only thing that makes sense, but can someone please explain the grammar to me?

I thought "osoku" is either used as an adverb, or for when it is conjugated with something else after it. E.G. "osokute", "osokunaru", etc. It is neither conjugated with something after it, nor is it an adverb.

So could someone please explain it to me?

*Excuse the romaji, but every time I try to use the button combination to turn on the JP language menu in a browser, it sends me back to the previous webpage.*
Last edited by Shiroisan on Sun 10.09.2011 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Shiroisan
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 03.06.2011 2:52 am
Native language: Eigo

Re: "その夜おそく"

Postby Setaceau » Sun 10.09.2011 3:55 am

夜遅く Yoru Osoku
朝早く Asa Hayaku
These have opposite means each other.
Even though these actual clock times might be near ^^;

夜遅く 何々 した。 I did something late at night.
夜遅くに 何々 した。also OK.

Perhaps you would realize Osoku concerns "Sita" as an adverb.
YoruOsoku behaves like a one word.
SonoYoruOsoku also could be one word as an adverb.

Osoku is an adverb. Osoi is an adjective.
遅い夜に何々した is acceptable but it sounds little bit strange.
その夜遅くに 何々を した。=何々を その夜 遅くに した。Yes, Osoku Sita. Osoku is adverb.
In Japanese, verbs should be last but others could be anywhere except last, as you like.

In the old era, Yoru Osoku means at midnight.
I think the author only want to show a situation, no one shouldn't
be there at that time because it was midnight.
(草木も眠る丑三つ時 Kusaki mo Nemuru Usimitu doki
Grass and tree also sleeps at midnight. You don't need to remember this phrase because it was used only old era. I don't know well it because I don't use the phrase now. If you use the phrase, it would sound joke.)

Anyway, recently, Yoru Osoku means 2 or 3 AM, perhaps.
Asa Hayaku means 5 or 6 AM. (Am I right? It depends on the person but about.)
Setaceau
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun 06.06.2010 7:35 am
Native language: Japanese

Re: "その夜おそく"

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.09.2011 4:57 am

Setaceau wrote:Osoku is an adverb. Osoi is an adjective.
遅い夜に何々した is acceptable but it sounds little bit strange.
その夜遅くに 何々を した。=何々を その夜 遅くに した。Yes, Osoku Sita. Osoku is adverb.
In Japanese, verbs should be last but others could be anywhere except last, as you like.


Ah, I understand now.

My textbook always put adverbs next to the verb, so I had never seen one so far away from the verb before. Are there other places in the original sentence that you can put it?
User avatar
Shiroisan
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 03.06.2011 2:52 am
Native language: Eigo

Re: "その夜おそく"

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.09.2011 5:35 am

Shiroisan wrote:その夜遅く,おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました。


Shiroisan wrote:その夜おそく、おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました

can someone please tell me how sono yoru osoku works?

I understand that it should mean "late that night" because it's the only thing that makes sense, but can someone please explain the grammar to me?

I thought "osoku" is either used as an adverb, or for when it is conjugated with something else after it. E.G. "osokute", "osokunaru", etc. It is neither conjugated with something after it, nor is it an adverb.

So could someone please explain it to me?

*Excuse the romaji, but every time I try to use the button combination to turn on the JP language menu in a browser, it sends me back to the previous webpage.*


Is there a reason you deleted all the rest of your original message that actually asked the question and provided context etc? :think:
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male

Re: "その夜おそく"

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.09.2011 5:07 pm

phreadom wrote:
Shiroisan wrote:その夜遅く,おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました。


Shiroisan wrote:その夜おそく、おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました

can someone please tell me how sono yoru osoku works?

I understand that it should mean "late that night" because it's the only thing that makes sense, but can someone please explain the grammar to me?

I thought "osoku" is either used as an adverb, or for when it is conjugated with something else after it. E.G. "osokute", "osokunaru", etc. It is neither conjugated with something after it, nor is it an adverb.

So could someone please explain it to me?

*Excuse the romaji, but every time I try to use the button combination to turn on the JP language menu in a browser, it sends me back to the previous webpage.*


Is there a reason you deleted all the rest of your original message that actually asked the question and provided context etc? :think:



How did you find that ? :D Thank you kind sir, I'll copy and paste it back in.

If you were curious of the backstory, I absent-mindedly tried to make a reply but somehow hit the edit button instead, and when I thought I was deleting the quoted post, I was really deleting my own post and made my "reply" in my original post. I couldn't understand why my "reply" wasn't showing up, and that's when I saw my error.
Most unfortunately I did not know how to retrieve my post info, nor did I really remember what I wrote (and if I were to re-write it I would want it to be exactly as it was, since someone already replied).

So instead I just pasted in the quote that was confusing me and abandoned thread >.<
User avatar
Shiroisan
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun 03.06.2011 2:52 am
Native language: Eigo

Re: "その夜おそく"

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.09.2011 5:23 pm

Shiroisan wrote:
phreadom wrote:
Shiroisan wrote:その夜遅く,おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました。


Shiroisan wrote:その夜おそく、おじいさんはだれかの声を聞きました

can someone please tell me how sono yoru osoku works?

I understand that it should mean "late that night" because it's the only thing that makes sense, but can someone please explain the grammar to me?

I thought "osoku" is either used as an adverb, or for when it is conjugated with something else after it. E.G. "osokute", "osokunaru", etc. It is neither conjugated with something after it, nor is it an adverb.

So could someone please explain it to me?

*Excuse the romaji, but every time I try to use the button combination to turn on the JP language menu in a browser, it sends me back to the previous webpage.*


Is there a reason you deleted all the rest of your original message that actually asked the question and provided context etc? :think:



How did you find that ? :D Thank you kind sir, I'll copy and paste it back in.

If you were curious of the backstory, I absent-mindedly tried to make a reply but somehow hit the edit button instead, and when I thought I was deleting the quoted post, I was really deleting my own post and made my "reply" in my original post. I couldn't understand why my "reply" wasn't showing up, and that's when I saw my error.
Most unfortunately I did not know how to retrieve my post info, nor did I really remember what I wrote (and if I were to re-write it I would want it to be exactly as it was, since someone already replied).

So instead I just pasted in the quote that was confusing me and abandoned thread >.<


Luckily I still had the page open in another tab since I'd been reading it. :) So I copy/pasted. I never did get around to implementing a "post history" mod on here... although at times like this it does become a bit more appealing. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests