Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation Help, please!

Translation Help, please!

Do you have a translation question?

Translation Help, please!

Postby BlackCitadel » Wed 10.19.2011 1:44 am

Can anyone translate these pictures for me please?

Thanks
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (22.54 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (20.13 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (18.7 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
BlackCitadel

Native language: Arabic

Re: Translation Help, please!

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Wed 10.19.2011 7:42 am

In order from top to the bottom.

Huh? Aren't you Rin Rin? Long time no see!

Hello(on the phone). This is Fujii speaking.

The phone is ringing.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby BlackCitadel » Wed 10.19.2011 7:52 am

Thank you so much....

Here are new ones..
Attachments
9.JPG
9.JPG (24.79 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (20.92 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (19.28 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
BlackCitadel

Postby phreadom » Wed 10.19.2011 9:22 am

I don't mean to sound rude here, but we're not a translating service. We're a learning resource. :)

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... f=8&t=5353

The examples you're asking for translations for are basically beginner level examples. If you'd like help translating these, we'd like you to at least make an effort to do so yourself first and we can help correct you etc.

So far I've seen 3 different posts from you of stuff that even I, as a beginner, have a fair idea what they say. (You changed your first post before it was responded to.)

I hope you understand. Thank you. :)

(For those wondering, I can only guess that this is one of the games from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3×3_Eyes franchise, based on the character names in the example images.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby BlackCitadel » Wed 10.19.2011 11:32 am

Well, you say these examples are a beginner's examples, how come they are for beginner learners??!!

Well, let's take a look at picture number 7!!!

I can't even know what is the noun in the picture, I don't see any verb, except that I saw a subject preceded by wa, I also thought there is a particle "made" here....

And if I converted the kana characters into Romaaji characters, it'll look like this.. letters stacked together with no spaces to at least figure out the sentence parts....

Can a beginner understand this!!!!!!????

でも パイのヤツはまで
なにも...
demo paynoyatsuwamade
nanimo...

I will also convert Picture number 9 to Romaaji just to show you how difficult it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How difficult to figure out each particle, noun, adjective. etc......

Sometimes I even can't figure out any particle except that wa は , the subject marker is something easy to attract the learner's attention as it refers to the subject or the topic of the sentence.

Now, see!!!
How the letters stacked close together with no spaces, just as the in the kana version.

aっ、tokorode ima
shigotodetoukyouni
kitoirundakedo,
aenai?

Can a beginner pick up the particles from this sentence????!!!

What I can see from my studies are: de, to, ni..
But how come to me that it's a particle???
How do I even know?

in this text: しごとでとうきょうに shigotodetoukyouni

Here, I have colored what I think that it's particle and made them in bold font...
Now how do I assure that they are certainly particles..... unless I am a Japanese person who has a vocabulary bank in his brain.

Can to and de here be considered two Hiragana letters related to the word? and not just participle at all??
shigotode
Last edited by BlackCitadel on Wed 10.19.2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackCitadel

Postby phreadom » Wed 10.19.2011 11:43 am

BlackCitadel wrote:Well, you say these examples are a beginner's examples, how come they are for beginner learners??!!

Well, let's take a look at picture number 7!!!

I can't even know what is the noun in the picture, I don't see any verb, except that I saw a subject preceded by wa, I also thought there is a particle "made" here....

And if I converted the kana characters into Romaaji characters, it'll look like this.. letters stacked together with no spaces to at least figure out the sentence parts....

Can a beginner understand this!!!!!!????

でも パイのヤツはまで
なにも...
demo paynoyatsuwamade
nanimo...

でも パイのヤツはまで
なにも...

パイ is a character's name. "demo, Pai no yatsu wa made nani mo". (She is also referred to as Pai-chan in one of the other images you posted.)

(Pai Ayanokōji (綾小路 パイ Ayanokōji Pai). And in one of your other images, リンリンさん refers to Lee Ling Ling (李 鈴鈴 Ri Rinrin) as listed on the 3x3 Eyes wikipedia link I gave up above.)

As for the spacing stuff... from the "Getting Started" page:
You might wonder why Japanese is usually written without any spaces. Basically this is because as we just talked about, kanji are used to specify the words, with some hiragana added in to show how the words are being used. Add in one final thing called "particles", which are single characters that show the relationships between words... like showing that "A (is going to) B", or that "Y (belongs to) Z", and you have basically everything that makes up Japanese! :)

Admittedly I'm an upper beginner, but it doesn't seem like you've made much of an attempt to translate these yourself. And if you really don't understand any of this, it begs the question as to why you're trying to play a game that is obviously far beyond your current abilities?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude. :( But posting a bunch of images here and just asking us to translate them when you apparently don't even have a basic beginner understand of what they say... it goes against what we do here (and again makes me wonder why you're playing a game you don't understand at all?)

I have a few games in Japanese, but I've put off trying to play them until I feel more confident in my abilities. Currently I've been trying to make my way through "Zelda - Phantom Hourglass" on the DS, and even that is still beyond my level, but I can at least get a basic idea of what's going on most of the time. And I've just now started playing it after having it for 2 or 3 years now.

Basically if you can't understand ANY of what you're trying to read, then you need to study more before you try tackling such material. :)

I'm sure someone more skilled than myself could try giving you a better explanation of what some of those say, and why... I'm only to the point where I can get a general grasp on them, but I'm not good enough to give you (good) translations or helpful explanations really. Sorry. :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Wed 10.19.2011 11:51 am

Here is the text of the images you've posted so far...

え??
リンリンさんですか??
おひさしぶりです!

もしもし
ふじいですが・・・

でんわが、なっている

あっ、ところで いま
しごとでとうきょうに
きているんだけど、
あえない?

そう パイちゃんまだ
かえってないんだ・・・

でも パイのヤツはまた
なにも・・・

and to break them up a bit...

え??
リンリンさん です か??
おひさしぶり です!

もしもし
ふじい です が・・・

でんわ が、なって いる

あっ、ところ で いま
しごと で とうきょう に
きているんだけど、
あえない?

(not sure how to break that one up... they're using contractions etc. Like I think the long version would be something like "きて いる の です けど" for that one line... but this is beyond my ability to explain better. Perhaps someone else can be of help.)

そう パイちゃん まだ
かえってない ん だ・・・

(again with contractions?)

でも パイ の ヤツ は まだ
なに も・・・

Does that help you at all? :think:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 10.19.2011 12:25 pm

The basic answer to your question of how to cope when there are no spaces and how to identify the particles is indeed - build a bigger vocabulary, and, use a dictionary. しごと is a pretty common word.

Here's a process you might find helpful. You can find from the dictionary that し is a word, so is しご, so is しごと, but you won't find しごとで - and it ends in something that could conceivably be a particle. So try seeing if しごと fits - don't stop at the first two. The longest match is likely a good candidate. (Or alternatively: If something doesn't seem to fit, try breaking it up in a different way.)

When phreadom said "beginner level examples", I think he was pointing more to the first set of three you posted. If you're at a stage where you couldn't have taken a guess at the first one, in particular - then the second set may be too much for you right now (it's still only about lower-intermediate, but there are some tricky parts).

Anyway, the point is, we need to receive enough input from you to make our replies into "helping you translate" instead of "translating for you". If you really can't get that far yet, then it might be easier for you if you found a game that has kanji with furigana (at least you'll know then where the nouns begin and end) or has spaces in kana text. Take little steps :)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby BlackCitadel » Wed 10.19.2011 12:29 pm

でも パイ の ヤツ は まだ
なに も・・・

Well,
Why can't it be
でも パイ の ヤツ は まだ
なにも・・・ nanimo....

How can I know that "mo" is a particle here?

Thanks for your help, and I am sorry for annoying you here in the forums.
BlackCitadel

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 10.19.2011 12:48 pm

I think that one can probably go either way... it means what you think it does (nanimo) anyway.
There's a word deliberately missing at the end. It's hard to tell what it might be without knowing the prior sentences (I see you left out 4,5,6 :D)
Whatever it is, it would probably take the form "te inai" (e.g. 言って(い)ない). なにも leads us into a negative.

This is probably the most difficult of all the sentences you posted because it takes more than breaking down the grammar to understand it.

でも、パイ(のヤツ)は まだ なにも…

Without context we can't even tell who the subject of this sentence is.
It could be パイ

"But Pai still hasn't [...verb omitted...] anything at all"
(e.g. 'told us'?)

or it could be the speaker
"But, as for Pai, [we? I?] still haven't [...verb omitted...] anything at all [about Pai]"
(e.g. 'heard'?)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby BlackCitadel » Wed 10.19.2011 1:40 pm

The reason I left out 4,5 and 6 is that I posted them in another forums just because I have been afraid of you posting a lot and annoying and you will end not translating them.....

But I haven't gotten a reply from the other forums as well.
BlackCitadel

Postby micahcowan » Wed 10.19.2011 9:19 pm

BlackCitadel wrote:The reason I left out 4,5 and 6 is that I posted them in another forums just because I have been afraid of you posting a lot and annoying and you will end not translating them.....

Probably wise. :)

You began to get better responses after you demonstrated that you're at least trying to decipher what you posted. Initially, you were just dumping images here and asking for translations, which doesn't do much to indicate that you're trying to learn anything.

We won't generally just translate things, but we'll gladly help people who are struggling to translate things, even if doing so we wind up translating it ourselves anyway. Though of course, sometimes the answer is "wait until you've gotten further into your textbooks to understand more", or "get more practice on easier things".

Many of these examples are easy in that they are short, kana-only sentences, usually with fairly basic vocabulary. But they may be less "easy" in that they are very colloquial, and may not correspond very well to the sort of Japanese one finds in a beginning textbook. Still, even getting a decent part of the way through a good beginning textbook ought to train you a little bit better to recognize word boundaries and particles.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby BlackCitadel » Thu 10.20.2011 2:08 am

I understand, thank you all...
Well then...
Can you tell me which do you think the best textbook to learn from??
I need a textbook that has a good explanation of grammar and at least explain how to translate...

I xxxxxxxxxx Genki I and II but I didn't like them.....
It's all about dialogues and I don't like that way...

What I like is an explanation of the grammar structure and some examples and giving the meaning of every word in the example and the best and the correct or appropriate word order in the sentence,,,,

Thanks.

(Piracy is a bannable offense on these forums. Please don't discuss it. --Phreadom)
BlackCitadel

Postby micahcowan » Thu 10.20.2011 2:06 pm

BlackCitadel wrote:I understand, thank you all...
Well then...
Can you tell me which do you think the best textbook to learn from??
I need a textbook that has a good explanation of grammar and at least explain how to translate...

I xxxxxxxxxx Genki I and II but I didn't like them.....

Yeah, me either. I'd recommend something if I could, but the ones I really like are out of date. Still, you might check out, I dunno, "Beginning Japanese" (which is entirely romaji, so couple it with "Reading Japanese", which is very excellent), by Elizabeth Jorden and Hamako Chaplin, or "Japanese: The Spoken Language" and "Japanese: The Written Language", also by Jorden and somewhat newer.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion