Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Taking a short language course in Japan?

Taking a short language course in Japan?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Taking a short language course in Japan?

Postby TwoOranges » Thu 09.29.2011 7:11 am

Does anyone have any experience with taking a 2 or 3 month language course in Tokyo? I have been studying Japanese in my spare time for about 5 years (in combination with my job...). I am at a stage where my Japanese is just good enough to get around without any problems. In the past 3 years I have been to Japan 3 times on a holiday (each time about 3 weeks). Problem is, now I would like to spend some longer period in Japan. So I'm thinking about combining a longer stay with a language course. Maybe a 2 month course combined with 3 or 4 weeks for doing some traveling. But are language schools really worth the extra money? Can't wait to hear from other peoples experiences!
TwoOranges

Re: Taking a short language course in Japan?

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 09.29.2011 11:29 pm

Whether or not it's worth it is 100% dependant on how serious you are about becoming proficient in the language. If you're a casual studier then I would probably say no.

KCP international is a highly acclaimed school that has a "Short Summer Term" option that I believe is shortened to 2 months or less-ish. However that school is in Shinjuku... Tuition fees would be your least concern compared to rent and cost of living there :sweatdrop: .
Unless you like commuting for ages...
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Figurethree » Sat 10.01.2011 6:57 pm

KCP will arrange your housing if you want them too, and they have a pretty close-by dorm that's all of 30 min walk from the school :) I went there for 6 months recently, and it was amazing. It's really not too bad to live there if you pay a bit of attention to your spending, and you can live cheaper than you think :D
Figurethree

Native language: English

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 10.01.2011 8:36 pm

Figurethree wrote:KCP will arrange your housing if you want them too, and they have a pretty close-by dorm that's all of 30 min walk from the school :) I went there for 6 months recently, and it was amazing. It's really not too bad to live there if you pay a bit of attention to your spending, and you can live cheaper than you think :D

you went? :D What level did you enter/ leave in?

I'm going to go for 6 months starting in July... Unfortunately I calculated that KCP dorms alone are roughly $1,150 a month... for a lil dorm room lol. Where I'm from you can get a luxury full-sized apartment for 775.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby maboroshi638 » Thu 10.27.2011 9:31 am

Hi,

Here's a website which might be of interest to you. The company is based all over the world and they offer all different types of language trips; including but not limited to Japan. And what I really like about it is that you can attend free personalized appointment.

http://www.esl-languages.com/en/home.htm

I hope this is helpful :)

Good luck!
The gods envy us. They envy us because we are mortal. Because every moment could be our last. Everything is so much more beautiful because we will someday die. (From "Troja")
maboroshi638

Native language: English and German

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips