Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's your motivation?

What's your motivation?

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

What's your motivation?

Postby amantonas » Sat 10.29.2011 7:45 pm

I know most of the people in this part of the forum self-study, and I just want to know what keeps you motivated to keep learning. I sometimes have trouble making myself start the next lesson, but it's not that hard once I get started in the workbook. I want to study abroad once I get in college, and then maybe move there or China/Taiwan, which obviously would require proficiency in one or both of those languages. If I know both I could get a bad-a job.
What about you guys? What keeps you motivated?
amantonas

Native language: English

Re: What's your motivation?

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 10.30.2011 2:25 am

I already have a set date of departure for leaving to Japan.
I know that the amount I can take out of my experience will be directly proportional to my degree of proficiency. That's why I'll stop for nothing :D My motivations for going to Japan itself however are a little personal :sweatdrop:
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby soldieroH » Mon 10.31.2011 5:18 am

I have gone too far to stop it now. :)
But my primary goal was to be able to read manga so it keeps me motivated too. :)
soldieroH

Native language: Latvian

Postby NikonGirl » Mon 12.05.2011 5:11 am

I am half Japanese. Sadly, I can barely communicate with my mom's side of the family and have finally had enough. My mother is from Okinawa and my dad was lucky enough to get stationed there when I was younger and after we moved back to the US we visited every other year. I miss my aunts and cousins like crazy and wish I could just send them a letter or an email and talk to them all the time. If Im lucky, my mom will get a call when Im at her house but I can only say a few things.
Not only that, I have 3 children who are a quarter Japanese. I want them to experience their culture the way I was able to growing up. I'm afraid if I don't learn Japanese fluently, I will have no way to connect to my family after my mother has passed :(
テレサ 
Please help me by correcting my errors :)
NikonGirl

Native language: English

Postby Aozora » Sat 11.23.2013 1:38 am

i want to watch anime without subtitle hehehe, and also i plan to work at japan company in country
Aozora

Native language: Indonesia

Return to Genki Textbook