Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What made you choose japanese?

What made you choose japanese?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Postby europabloke » Sun 11.06.2011 6:36 pm

Hi all, another quick question.

What reasons do you have for studying japanese? Let's say, compared to chinese.

I personally love the people, the culture, and just how unique japan is.

I'm currently trying to decide if my major should be japanese or chinese, as so many claim chinese will be the next world language, there will be so many more jobs, etc, and I'm just curious what got you to study japanese.

Be curious to see what drives everyone to study it =D
europabloke

Native language: German\English

Re: What made you choose japanese?

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 11.06.2011 10:41 pm

Unless you plan on majoring in business/ marketing, the fact that China's becoming a larger world power won't make a financial difference to you either way.

As for regular jobs, there's tons of openings in either Country for a bilingual, so just choose whatever your favourite is!

From everything I've read, Japan to me is the perfect mix of modern and ancient culture. I have a vast number of interests there, so I won't finalize what path I'll take until I'm actually there myself. I'll see what happens. :)
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Sun 11.06.2011 11:18 pm

In terms of careers, Chinese has far more potential - I suppose it could be similar difficulty to find a job in Japan or in China on the basis of language skills alone. Leaving that aside, China's investments abroad mean it has far further reaching influence than Japan. That it's still a developing nation as well as an -enormous- nation means that the Chinese themselves are a larger immigrant community in other nations than the Japanese are. It's even possible (if difficult) to go into intelligence services just on the basis of highly skilled Chinese - nobody is that worried about spying on the Japanese!

Anyway, for a lot of reasons, Chinese is a more useful career skill in English speaking countries than Japanese is.

As for me, I got into Japanese on my interest in anime, manga, and karate. I stick with it because of my interest in the language and the culture. I don't practice karate anymore, and my interest in anime and manga is greatly diminished - except when I hit on something great like Death Note, of course - but there's music, movies, dramas, books... a whole lot of interesting stuff beyond the brightly colored cel paintings.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Hektor6766 » Mon 11.07.2011 12:06 am

I started studying Chinese along with Japanese in the beginning, and intend to study Chinese more intently once I have gained at least some fluency in Japanese. I chose to concentrate on Japanese first for two main reason: 1) More plentiful, high quality resources available, and 2) More western influence and orientation in Japan making Japanese an easier step into eastern languages (not necessarily true).
Hektor6766

Postby micahcowan » Tue 11.08.2011 7:53 pm

I fell in love with the writing system (that is, what very little I saw of it - hiragana first, then kanji when I encountered it). If I'd encountered Chinese writing first, there's a strong chance I'd have gone in that direction. My relationship with the writing system is more love/hate now (passionately on both sides of that spectrum), and it's far too late for me to consider doing Chinese instead. I'm married to Japanese, for better or worse.

Among the things I came to love about it since I began, would probably be the simple orderliness of Japanese grammar.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Pianogirl123 » Wed 11.09.2011 1:47 am

Well, my interest in the Japanese language started because of my interest in Anime and Manga, but now it's the other way around! :mrgreen:
Pianogirl123

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 11.09.2011 8:50 pm

micahcowan wrote:Among the things I came to love about it since I began, would probably be the simple orderliness of Japanese grammar.

I sort of like it too. And it's nice not having to deal with all the little linking words of other languages.
Shiroisan

Postby furrykef » Wed 11.09.2011 9:04 pm

Eh? Japanese has tons of "little linking words".
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby chikara » Wed 11.09.2011 10:14 pm

europabloke wrote:Hi all, another quick question.

What reasons do you have for studying japanese? Let's say, compared to chinese.

It had been a goal of mine for a long time to learn another language and I was leaning towards Spanish but never had the motivation to actually get started. I did six months of Italian in high school, almost 40 years ago, but as about half the class spoke Italian at home it was a bit of a waste of time and I remember very little.

A business trip to Japan in 2004 was my first real experience of the Japanese language and I was hooked on the Japanese language and culture.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 11.09.2011 11:16 pm

furrykef wrote:Eh? Japanese has tons of "little linking words".

Less than other languages. It has particles in place of many prepositions and conjunctions, although it uses conjugation in place of some conjunctions, and of course, it has some actual conjunctions too. However, Japanese lacks the entire set of definite and indefinite articles (a, the, and so on.), which depending on the language can be complicated by noun genders and changing the article depending on the grammatical case of the noun the article is associated with... German classes were such a pain, heh.

Of course, -not- having to deal with those grammatical difficulties is in exchange for Japanese being so very context-dependent and leaving the listener figuring things out a lot of the time that would be explicit in most western languages. A whole new kind of linguistic challenge ;)

Of course, some people consider much of what I call verb conjugation to be the linking together of helper verbs, and from -that- point of view then Japanese has incredibly trivial conjugations and a -huge- heap of 'little linking words' in all those helper verbs...

Also, of course, Japanese has all the politeness levels and keigo and so on to make up the complexity that was saved by not dealing with pluralization, articles, and noun genders.
SomeCallMeChris

Postby maboroshi638 » Thu 11.10.2011 12:55 pm

I became interested in Japanese as a language because I liked the sound of it when spoken or even in songs. I know it seems weird but it is true.
Then one of my friends introduced me to Manga, Anime and J-music etc. and I thought wouldn't it be great to actually be able to read Manga in Japanese and watch Anime without subtitles or dubbing. So, here I am! :D

With Chinese on the other hand until this day, I cannot bring myself to like the sound of the language. I cannot explain it. I think it must be personal taste.
It has got absolutely nothing to do with the culture or the people. I've only met nice and friendly Chinese people up until now. :)
The gods envy us. They envy us because we are mortal. Because every moment could be our last. Everything is so much more beautiful because we will someday die. (From "Troja")
maboroshi638

Native language: English and German

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 12.22.2011 10:52 pm

furrykef wrote:Eh? Japanese has tons of "little linking words".

Not even close. :think:

に = for, to, as, from, at, on, in, etc.**

**Not direct meanings, but the linking words that we'd have to use in English instead
Shiroisan

Postby furrykef » Sat 12.24.2011 3:37 am

Shiroisan wrote:に = for, to, as, from, at, on, in, etc.**

**Not direct meanings, but the linking words that we'd have to use in English instead

Well, if we're going to play that game...

to = へ, に, まで, にとって, には, ために, [verb]こと

See? It works both ways. ;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Sat 12.24.2011 3:43 pm

knitting
there are some excellent designers in Japan and they release their patterns for free but in Japanese.
Since starting to learn I am finding a heap of other things that are inpiring me, everything from the art of Japanese flower arranging to furoshiki (which is how I wrapped all my christmas gifts this year). I love that there is more to learn and that the language is just an access route to even more creativity and inspiring ideas.
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 12.27.2011 7:13 am

furrykef wrote:
Shiroisan wrote:に = for, to, as, from, at, on, in, etc.**

Well, if we're going to play that game...

to = へ, に, まで, にとって, には, ために, [verb]こと

See? It works both ways. ;)

I see what you're saying but I still think that's a bit different:

I don't think "ために" could ever be used as a "to"; Isn't it to say what something is "for" in English?

Doesn't [verb]こと just change the verb into a noun? What does that have to do with "to"

"には" is just に again; は is just marking the subject as per usual, right?

I suppose へ is optional flare, but I don't remember there ever being a case where you'd have to use it instead of に, do you?

にとって Might be valid, but I haven't come across it in my studies yet though so I don't know what it means :sweatdrop:
Shiroisan

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion