Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - おおかみ- Okami

おおかみ- Okami

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

おおかみ- Okami

Postby KharismaticKayteh » Wed 11.16.2011 6:24 am

So I am a huge fan of Okami, and I have spoken to a few Nihonjin who have never even heard of it, even though there is a Japanese version! Have any of you ever heard of Okami, Japanese version or otherwise?
KharismaticKayteh

Skype chat: KharismaticKayteh
Native language: English

Re: おおかみ- Okami

Postby micahcowan » Sat 11.19.2011 9:45 pm

Absolutely. Love that game, though I never did finish it.

I got it when it first came out for the PS2; I sold it at some point when I was seriously hurting for cash, confident that it would be around to buy again when I needed to; but I was wrong, it had already become a rare game before a year or two had passed since its publication! (Perhaps because the developer had gone out of business.)

I was very excited when it was later released for the Wii, since the brush-gesture action system would seem much better suited to the Wiimote than the analog nubs of a PS2 controller... but it seems I was wrong, as for some reason it seems a bit less responsive than the PS2 version. Still a great (and huge!) game.

There's also some adaptation for the DS, which I haven't really looked into much.

I love the game because it is filled to the brim with Japanese mythology and folk story references. And also because the title and game theme revolve around a play on words; おおかみ is both 大神, the Great God Amaterasu, and 狼, "wolf". Not something that really carries over into English, unfortunately.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby KharismaticKayteh » Sun 11.20.2011 2:01 am

OHMAHGAWD! Someone knows it exists!

I wanted it so badly when it first came out for PlayStation, but I was kind of a poor kid, so it never happened.

When my boyfriend had his Wii, I found the Wii version at Game Exchange, when I had had no idea that it existed for the Wii prior to that, so I begged him to get it for me. xD. However, he got rid of the Wii at some point and found me the original PS2 version instead.

Seriously, you would think it would be perfect for the Wii, but once I went from the Wii version to the PS2 version, it was nothing less than awesome! So much easier on the PS2. Oh, but you should find it and finish it. I personally have a hard time playing it now, since I've beat it twice (and I play games for the storyline, typically, so no matter how awesome the gameplay is, I have a hard time playing again when I already know the story).

Oh, the DS version is actually a sequel to the game, rather than just the same thing for a different system. I somehow haven't purchased it yet! I'm very stingy with my money, and it's really hard for me to buy new games... but maybe I should get it while it's not-so-new, and not-so-rare. o_o.

You know what? I'm pretty sure I didn't decide to learn Japanese until I played that game. I looked online once for Japanese folk tales (folk tales/fairy tales are my absolute favorite!) and I found one that was... about a one-inch tall samurai? I can't remember exactly, but I related it to the game immediately. Even some of the monsters related to particular tales I had read (like the demon-possessed tea kettles). I want so badly to get a PS3 and get the Japanese version of the game. I would like to just get it for the PS2, but the PS2 apparently has a sort of "region block" that prevents an American system from playing game releases meant for Asia or Europe. Not sure why. But it's rather depressing.
KharismaticKayteh

Skype chat: KharismaticKayteh
Native language: English

Postby micahcowan » Wed 11.23.2011 7:18 am

KharismaticKayteh wrote:I looked online once for Japanese folk tales (folk tales/fairy tales are my absolute favorite!) and I found one that was... about a one-inch tall samurai?

一寸法師 (いっすんぼうし), which really means "one-sun priest". A sun is an archaic Japanese measurement roughly corresponding to an inch.

法師 is literally "priest", but it was also apparently used to refer to boys past a certain age (who shaved their heads?), so maybe "one-inch lad" or something is better.

It's a very, very famous Japanese folktale.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Games