Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I feel like this site is near death

I feel like this site is near death

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: I feel like this site is near death

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.29.2011 4:37 pm

phreadom wrote:Sorry if it sounds like I'm being all white knighty. ;)

Naw, I thought it sounded more black bishopy.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby phreadom » Thu 09.29.2011 4:44 pm

micahcowan wrote:
phreadom wrote:Sorry if it sounds like I'm being all white knighty. ;)

Naw, I thought it sounded more black bishopy.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

:eyebrows: :applause: :up:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Hektor6766 » Thu 09.29.2011 10:18 pm

もう…
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Postby KharismaticKayteh » Wed 11.16.2011 5:49 am

Pardon, I hate to awaken a sleeping thread, but...

One of my main disappointments with many free Japanese learning sites is that they do not provide an interactive way for me to test the material I've learned. I have been told that it's unusual of me (I was one of those few kids who loved taking tests in school because I liked actually being able to see how knowledgeable I was regarding a subject), but I always find it really beneficial.

If some games or quizzes are implemented, then the users have a way to test their knowledge without actually having to bother a person by asking, "Is my use of such-and-such correct?" or other such things. I mean, those questions do and will come up, but less often. It's kind of like why in school we do so much homework before doing a test -- we use our knowledge to answer questions, and if we do well, then that's awesome; if we don't do well, the teacher marks our answer out in red and writes out the correct answer and how to get that answer, if applicable.

I *love* the grammar points in the beginner section, but I would love so dearly for there to be quizzes or games to test my knowledge of the material!
Last edited by KharismaticKayteh on Wed 11.16.2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KharismaticKayteh

Skype chat: KharismaticKayteh

Postby phreadom » Wed 11.16.2011 8:49 am

I think that's a great idea and it's definitely on the TODO list.

I'm working on ways to do basic drills at the moment... little games and quizzes to help learning the kana etc.

After that I'll move into the kanji and grammar lists etc. :) I think these are vital to getting people coming back and working through things to really commit them to memory and keep moving forward. (I'm also looking at things like a simple SRS that blends some of the ideas from Surusu with Anki etc... but that's farther out. One thing at a time!)

Thanks for the feedback! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby KharismaticKayteh » Wed 11.16.2011 9:12 am

Oh, awesome!

The site that I used to learn from was studyjapanese.org, but for whatever reason, their content was merged instead with learnjapanese.com, I believe, and the only content that wasn't kept was their flash card trainer, which was my absolute favorite feature of theirs. It wasn't quite as rewarding as any game might have been, and some of the mods have said they personally weren't impressed with it, but it was a favorite among the site for most users because it was especially effective at reinforcing memory.

It's a bit complicated, but the way it worked was... simply, it would show a word, typically in kana. The user would click a button which read "answer", and the English translation of the kana would be revealed. Like most other virtual flashcards, the user had the option to click "right" or "wrong". What was really cool about the trainer is that it would keep a record of everything you had trained over, and how well you scored. For the regular trainer, also like most virtual flash cards, if you answered correctly, that card was taken out of the set, and if you answered incorrectly, the card was left in the set to be brought up again to help reinforce your memory. However, there was also a testing phase that the user could do. With this, instead of the user answering whether they chose right or wrong, they would have five different buttons they could click, basically ranking their memory of any particular word on a scale of 1 to 5. If the user felt their memory of that word was immediate and flawless, they might choose 5. If the user had no idea what the word was, whether they had never seen it before or they just had no guess or a completely incorrect guess after so long, they might choose 1. All of the cards and those rankings would be saved away to quiz over some other time. It was a bit complicated, but certain cards would be ready to test again whenever the user logged in another time. Cards that were ranked 1 (not at all remembered) would be queued to be tested again in the next day or two. Cards that were ranked 5 (remembered well) would be queued to be tested again in... maybe eight days or so.

Aside from that, there were card sets made by the moderators of the site that everyone could test (in various categories from colors to animals to numbers and even vocabulary learned in their lessons), but users could also make their own flash cards, and they could either keep them private for their own learning or make them public for others to use if they pleased.

Oh, gosh, I rambled! Ahh, well, just thought I would share that. I don't expect that if something interactive is implemented into this site, it will be exactly like that, but I thought I should share in case it might provoke some ideas.
KharismaticKayteh

Skype chat: KharismaticKayteh

Previous

Return to General off topic