Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about basic sentence structure

Question about basic sentence structure

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Question about basic sentence structure

Postby tgsc » Wed 11.30.2011 12:47 pm

I believe I’m in the right area to ask a question about basic sentence structure.

The sentence “I live in Toronto.” Would translate into Japanese as 私は Toronto の 生きている and not私は 生きている のToronto.

So the basic structure to a Japanese sentence with the thought and idea the same but the order in which the words are written are just flipped backwards compared to an English sentence?

Thank you again for your time

TGSC
tgsc

Native language: english

Re: Question about basic sentence structure

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Wed 11.30.2011 1:57 pm

First of all you wouldn't use the verb 生きる for living somewhere, it literally means that something is "living", as in not being dead :)

The verb you're looking for is 住む(すむ) which means to live(as in residing). You've got the grammar a bit confused too. You should be using the particle に for the verb 住む and the correct sentence order is 私はトロントに住んでいる - わたしはとろんとにすんでいる. The usual sentence order in Japanese is SOV(subject - object - verb) while it's SVO(subject - verb - object) in English. I don't think I can explain it better than this, but I hope it helps.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 11.30.2011 10:12 pm

What Lord said.

I'm curious though, who taught you that grammar or vocabulary? However you're currently learning, you might want to switch to a different method...
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby tgsc » Thu 12.01.2011 1:39 am

I was a little to enthusiastic and jumped way ahead of my program believing that I had an understanding, which I clearly do not have yet. So I will hang my head in shame with the realization this will be one of many mistakes I will make in the coming months and years as I learn this language.

I thank you again for taking the time Lordoftheflies to post your reply to my question.

TGSC
tgsc

Native language: english

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems