Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Work Visa for an Intern?

Work Visa for an Intern?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Work Visa for an Intern?

Postby Kailene » Tue 11.08.2011 3:38 pm

I'm considering interning in Japan next summer (very tentative, since it's hard to find information about graphic design internships in Japan). I've heard that it's tricky to get a work visa for somebody without a college degree. If I was able to get in internship secured before going to Japan, what are the chances of securing a visa? Worst case scenario I'd have to have a voluntary internship, but it'd be awfully ideal to get paid :)
日本語好きやからな〜
http://youtube.com/kailenedanae
Kailene

Native language: 英語

Re: Work Visa for an Intern?

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 11.08.2011 7:16 pm

I don't have an answer about work visas for internships... or answer at all really, just a suggestion. I would expect a summer internship to be on a student visa, and students can in fact work and have an income (as long as that is allowed by their school, which isn't a problem if you're on an internship.)

I'd check with the career center or whichever office at your school helps students arrange internships, as well as whichever office helps students arrange foreign exchange study. One or both might be able to help you.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby ryuubu » Tue 12.13.2011 4:45 am

If I recall, students can work up to 30 hours a week on a student visa.
ryuubu

Postby micahcowan » Fri 12.16.2011 5:05 pm

ryuubu wrote:If I recall, students can work up to 30 hours a week on a student visa.

SomeCallMeChris wrote:students can in fact work and have an income

PROVIDED that they obtain permission first. It is forbidden to do any sort of work on a student visa, but many students work legally, by successfully applying for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted (jeez, what a mouthful!)

(This is as I understand it, from researching a possible move to Japan recently. I have never actually been to, nor studied or worked in, Japan.)
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan