Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kids Manga Recommendations?

Kids Manga Recommendations?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Kids Manga Recommendations?

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Thu 12.15.2011 1:19 pm

Hi,

My nephew is 9 and getting into graphic novels (according to his father). I think Manga fits this category and would open an avenue into Japanese. He is a smart kid and would enjoy learning Japanese if inspired.

So, can anyone recommend any graphic novels/ manga series or one-off's, suitable for a 9-yr old boy, with English translations to start with because I want to inspire him to learn Japanese by himself rather than suggest he learn it by giving him manga written only in Japanese?

The English Knitter :)
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Re: Kids Manga Recommendations?

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 12.15.2011 4:37 pm

Good idea, but be careful. A good percentage of manga isn't suitable for 9 year olds, even when the front cover suggests that it is child orientated.

For example, Hunter x Hunter is my favourite anime/manga, and it would be great for 9 year olds except there's a lot of violence and gore that a lot of parents I know wouldn't tolerate, if only because its a bad influence.

I'm not an avid reader, but I'd recommend Naruto or One-piece which are very famous manga in Japan and I personally love them too.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby phreadom » Thu 12.15.2011 4:43 pm

I absolutely love Naruto (and I turn 38 in 3 days). I think it's a good mix of what a young boy would love, with enough subtle depth to the plot to make it appeal to all ages. (I'm not sure how a 9 year old would feel about it... the story is pretty serious at the moment. But maybe if he starts with the beginning volumes that are already translated and available in English. Those start out lighter I think.)

I've never read One Piece, but it looks like it might be lighter than Naruto. :think: They're both incredibly popular.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Thu 12.22.2011 4:15 pm

Thank you, I will buy them and have a look before I give them as a gift.
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions