Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can anyone here understand spoken japanese on TV shows?

Can anyone here understand spoken japanese on TV shows?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Can anyone here understand spoken japanese on TV shows?

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 12.16.2011 10:48 am

Of course people like Clay could because he lives in japan and has to speak and hear it all the time but is it possible to be able to understand spoken japanese well without living in japan or having interaction with japanese people? I just can't , I can't go live in japan or even go to japan and my area has nearly no Japanese speaking people at all but I was wondering if it's possible to understand native spoken audio just by learning experience. :?:
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Can anyone here understand spoken japanese on TV shows?

Postby Ongakuka » Fri 12.16.2011 11:33 am

Of course they can! I'm not offering myself as proof; I've been to Japan for 9 months. But if you're willing to devote a good portion of your day to listening to Japanese, and do this consistently you'll build up your listening skills in no time.

I agree that learning Japanese in Japan is easier because you don't have to make a concious effort to listen, and you can learn the language according to circumstance and situation. However, if you listen to a variety of different programmes, such as day time television on NHK, the news, anime, comedy and manzai, you will pick up how Japanese is used in different contexts. You can listen to all of these for free on the internet! But personally I would rather live in Japan :ninja:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby micahcowan » Fri 12.16.2011 5:12 pm

Have a browse at http://alljapaneseallthetime.com/ for ideas.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 12.16.2011 5:20 pm

Cool, I just want to be able to watch Japanese movies and shows without subtitles.
kentaku_sama

Postby HawaiianBoy » Tue 01.10.2012 2:52 pm

The answer to that is no. As much as you would like to disagree with me , the answer is no. You must be around native speakers to hear how they pronounce their words and how other Japanese people tend to say a certain word differently amongst other Japanese. It's quite hard to explain this matter but you have to trust me. Just think , You are able to speak English because throughout your childhood , you were submerged around people who spoke nothing but English.
HawaiianBoy

Skype chat: sid_lee92

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Wed 01.11.2012 1:12 am

韩リ- wrote:The answer to that is no. As much as you would like to disagree with me , the answer is no. You must be around native speakers to hear how they pronounce their words and how other Japanese people tend to say a certain word differently amongst other Japanese. It's quite hard to explain this matter but you have to trust me. Just think , You are able to speak English because throughout your childhood , you were submerged around people who spoke nothing but English.

I'd like to disagree with you, very strongly. I've been learning Japanese on my own for almost 6 years and I frequently watch unsubtitled animes and sometimes other Japanese TV shows. Depending on what show it is, I'd say I usually pick up somewhere around 95 to 99% of what they say. It all depends on what kind of Japanese is spoken in the show and what kind of Japanese you're familiar with yourself. I remember when I started to watch unsubbed anime a few years ago I probably picked up maybe 70% of the words they said, but I could make out most of the meanings by context.

So no, it's not impossible to understand spoken Japanese on TV shows if you aren't Japanese or haven't lived in Japan, because I'm neither Japanese and I haven't visited Japan even once.

If you just keep studying diligently and try getting used to picking up spoken Japanese you'll eventually get to the point that you can understand Japanese TV shows too. I think the three most important things are, having extensive vocabulary, knowledge of expressions and being used to discerning the different syllables in Japanese and put them together into words.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 01.11.2012 2:15 am

Of course, it's possible to learn Japanese to any level of comprehension without direct contact with native speakers. That may not have been true once, but these days there is so much media available that being exposed to Japanese speech patterns is not hard at all. It is, of course, much harder to train the brain to recognize speech patterns at a reasonable pace without actually engaging in actual conversation. However, there are plenty of people in Japan looking to learn English who will gladly do a language exchange chat over Skype.

If you're dedicated to studying daily for years, and getting up hours early to call your Japanese language exchange partners just after dinner, and spend hours watching shows that you can only partially understand... then you can learn to understand Japanese without going to Japan. Most people give up, not because it's impossible, but because it takes time and effort. If you keep at it, you'll get there.

But most important is to expose yourself to some actual native Japanese every day. It -is- true that we develop some very powerful filters that make it so we effectively -cannot hear- the nuances in foreign languages. It takes time and continuous exposure to retrain that part of your brain (and subtitles pretty much means you ignore the sound in favor of the written words, so don't watch stuff subtitled in English and limit the amount of Japanese subtitles you depend on.)

I don't think it would do hold up very well for actually learning the language, but for nice and easy multi-media practice I've taken a liking to for relaxing practice is Erin's Challenge. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to increase their comprehension without or before going to Japan, as a supplement to your textbook or online grammar guide, etc.
(note the multiple videos per lesson page, there's a lot there actually. The side culture notes are more interesting to me than the lesson skits, although I was surprised that the lesson skits are sometimes not fully comprehensible to me and the first listen - they don't speak exactly at full natural speed, but they do speak much more naturally than most beginner stuff, with contractions and everything.)

https://www.erin.ne.jp/jp/
SomeCallMeChris

Postby tokyofan » Sun 10.28.2012 5:16 am

I would say it's possible now, more than it might have been in the past just because of the internet
making more media available. And it will depend on the person as well. It takes a lot of motivation
to stick with a language to reach that level of understanding.
tokyofan

Return to Japanese General Discussion