Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A question about writing 'き' (ki)...

A question about writing 'き' (ki)...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: A question about writing 'き' (ki)...

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.15.2005 6:52 am

Harisenbon wrote:
By the way, Daichi, It's hard to tell because the image is kind of blurry, but I'm almost positive the Japanese in that image is typed, not hand written.

I specifically searched for an example of handwriting, but when I found this I, like yourself, thought it looked typed. However, after checking closely I'm sure it is handwritten. This person must be very good at it because the characters have a very uniform look.

Look closely at the first word. You should be able to see that the final stroke loops in a slightly different shape in each of the examples.
Daichi

RE: A question about writing 'き' (ki)...

Postby lomagu » Fri 09.16.2005 5:59 am

そand ふ are also sometimes written slightly differently.

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Re: RE: A question about writing 'き' (ki)...

Postby phreadom » Sat 12.24.2011 11:35 am

Daichi wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:
By the way, Daichi, It's hard to tell because the image is kind of blurry, but I'm almost positive the Japanese in that image is typed, not hand written.

I specifically searched for an example of handwriting, but when I found this I, like yourself, thought it looked typed. However, after checking closely I'm sure it is handwritten. This person must be very good at it because the characters have a very uniform look.

Look closely at the first word. You should be able to see that the final stroke loops in a slightly different shape in each of the examples.

I ran back across this discussion while looking for a better explanation of why some kana are written differently... and decided to dig into this a bit further. (And yes, I realize that I just blasted an over 6 year old thread to the top of the list.) ^_^

I would also bet on it being typed. The text is apparently from Snow Country (雪国 Yukiguni) by the author Yasunari Kawabata (川端 康成 Kawabata Yasunari, 14 June 1899 – 16 April 1972).

"ああ、天の河と、島村も振り仰いだとたんに、天の河のなかへ体がふうと浮き上ってゆくやうだった。天の河の明るさが島村を掬ひ上げさうに近かった。旅の芭蕉が荒海の上に見たのは、このやうにあざやかな天の河の大きさであったか。裸の天の河は夜の大地を素肌で巻かうとして、直ぐそこに降りて来てみる。恐ろしい艶めかしさだ。島村は自分の小さい影が地上から逆に天の河へ写ってみさうに感じた。天の河にいっぱいの星が一つ一つ見えるばかりでなく、ところどころ光雲の銀砂子も一粒一粒見えるほど澄み渡り、しかも天の河の底なしの深さが視線を吸ひ込んで行った。"

I'm pretty positive that it's merely an image of a page from that book. It's possible that someone wrote it out as part of some school assignment or something, but I think it highly unlikely. I think the 'differences' we're seeing are nothing more than artifacts of the print process and subsequently very poor resolution scan etc.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: A question about writing 'き' (ki)...

Postby NileCat » Sat 12.24.2011 3:51 pm

Although I’m kind of skeptical about the academic accuracy of this list, it at least could tell you why some different styles exist even today.
http://www.ugoky.com/hiragana/hiragana_ugoky.swf

And,

I wish you a Merry Christmas :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby phreadom » Sun 12.25.2011 10:09 am

Thank you NileCat-san! :bow: And a Merry Christmas to you too!

I also feel a little skeptical about that little flash video you supplied... it might show the start and end characters for those, but even at that I think they just did a basic "morph" with some program and didn't actually trace the evolution of the characters... so I didn't really play around with it very much.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby kalavinka » Thu 01.12.2012 3:46 pm

Yes, it's like the difference between fonts and personal stylistic choices but for that very reason, you should learn to recognize each one so you are not stumped when you read something in a different font, or written by various people. Also, it's very common in calligraphy to join the strokes like that. Another thing is Japanese shorthand. It kills me. Sorry that I don't have an example right now but from my own experience, I have relatives in Japan, once I got a letter and I was so stumped as to a particular kanji. I couldn't find it in a dictionary. It really bothered me. Finally, I showed it to my mom and she explained that's the short version of writing it by hand since to write all the strokes is too much trouble.
kalavinka

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.12.2012 7:26 pm

I'm scared to have to learn that some day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive_sc ... st_Asia%29 :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby AbuMaia » Tue 03.13.2012 2:24 pm

So is it the general consensus opinion of this topic that it doesn't matter if one learns to write ki with 3 strokes, or sa with 2, so long as they are still legible? I'm just starting out leaning the kanas and how to write them, so I wanted to clarify this point before getting too far into it to change easily.
AbuMaia

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems