Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - People who use kanji that they can't read.

People who use kanji that they can't read.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

People who use kanji that they can't read.

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 12.31.2011 7:55 am

With the advent of computer technology, both native and foreign speakers of Japanese can make 20 stroke kanji with the press of 2 buttons. Japan is reportedly worried about the generation of young people who are not holding on to more and more kanji because the computers do it for them.

And among foreign learners, I have slowly become aware that there are actually learners out there who type out their sentences and press the "kanjify" button, regardless of whether or not they have the slightest clue as to what any of the kanji will be, or even know what they are once they see it.:shock: Most of the time the computer picks the right one, but it seems extremely ridiculous to me. Personally I can't believe someone would submit something that they can't even read themselves.

One could theoretically make an argument that, upon pressing the "kanjify" button for every sentence you make, you may slowly grow to recognize the kanji that you're making naturally. But what do you think of that? Is it counter-intuitive, or is it a valid form of practice?
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: People who use kanji that they can't read.

Postby furrykef » Sat 12.31.2011 7:29 pm

There's a term for people who are overly reliant on the IME to produce kanji: ワープロ馬鹿.

As for learners, I have to agree that using the IME to come up with the kanji for you is a bad idea. You're very liable to pick the wrong kanji if you can't read them. If you recognize the kanji and know it's the right one for the word you're typing, that's one thing -- I have plenty of moments like this myself -- but doing it blindly is just silly. If you don't know the correct kanji then you should look up the word. If this means you're going to be looking up too many words, you're probably in over your head as it is.

In any case, it's very valuable to learn how to write, not just recognize, kanji, because my experience has shown to me that production is more valuable than recognition. In other words, knowing how to write a word in kanji will help you recognize the kanji when you see them more than vice versa.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Ranja » Sun 01.01.2012 8:21 am

自分が読めもしない漢字を使うというケースは聞いたことがありません。自分が「書けない」漢字を使うということはありますが。
そもそも、漢字の単語を知っていなければローマ字をタイプしてその漢字を出すことすらできませんし、複数の選択肢の中から自分が意図するものを選び出すこともできないでしょう。
たしかに、コンピューターの普及で漢字を書く能力は失われてきていますが、そもそも手で書く必要があるのかという議論もあります。漢字は読めさえすればいいという考え方です。個人的には賛成しませんが。

最近では、漢字変換の際に単語の意味も一緒に表示されるので、コンピューターの利用はかえって漢字の学習に良いと思っています。たとえば、「ほしょう」とタイプして変換キーを押すと、(IMEにもよりますが)保障、保証、補償などの同音異義語がどういう意味をもっているかの簡単な説明が出てきます。この機能のおかげで以前より漢字を間違えることが少なくなりました。これはまた、漢字の(というよりも単語の)学習にも役立っていると思います。
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Mon 01.02.2012 3:44 pm

Ranjaさんの言ったことはだいたい正しいと思いますが、日本人ではなく、日本語を勉強している初心者は最初に間違った漢字を使うことが多いと思います。
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 01.02.2012 8:13 pm

日本語に「漢字」がある限り、漢字の読み方、書き方、漢字の歴史などを学びたい人もいるでしょう。 Let us not forget that Japanese Kanji have survived and indeed evolved through periods when most people could not even write in Hiragana :P
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Return to Japanese General Discussion