Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - はじめまして。from New Mexico, USA

はじめまして。from New Mexico, USA

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

はじめまして。from New Mexico, USA

Postby Ema » Wed 01.04.2012 12:20 pm

始めまして、谷垣恵麻と申します。私は日本生まれですけどアメリカ育ちです。 高等学校の時日本に戻って3年間北海道の釧路市に(で?)住みました。学校を卒業出来るほど日本語を覚えることは出来ませんでした。もうその時から20年以上たちました。去年に入ってまたもう一度漢字を練習して日本語を思い出そうとしてます。とてもむずかしいです。私わ出来るほど英語を覚えようとしてる人を助けようとします。換わりに私の日本語治して下さい。よろしくお願いします。

Hello, I'm Ema Tanigaki. I was born in Japan, but raised in the US. During my highschool days I lived in Kushiro, Hokkaido for three years. I did not learn enough Japanese to graduate high school. Twenty years later I am practicing my Kanji and attempting to relearn Japanese. I will try to help those who are trying to learn English, in exchange please correct my Japanese. Yoroshiku (I cannot think of an equivalent phrase in American English. Am I having a senior moment, or is there not one?)
Ema

Native language: English

Re: はじめまして。from New Mexico, USA

Postby phreadom » Wed 01.04.2012 1:28 pm

はじめまして!
Glad to see you made it on finally! :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Ema » Thu 01.05.2012 3:03 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I thought you might like to know that I am getting the notification emails. So far so good. :D
Ema

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.05.2012 3:39 pm

Ema wrote:Thank you for the welcome. I thought you might like to know that I am getting the notification emails. So far so good. :D

Excellent! Glad to have you on-board so to speak. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Thu 01.05.2012 10:51 pm

Hey there and welcome to TJP! I hope you'll find the website and community helpful in your endeavors :)

I can make a few small corrections for you.

Ema wrote:始めまして、谷垣恵麻と申します。私は日本生まれですけどアメリカ育ちです。 高等学校の時日本に戻って3年間北海道の釧路市に(で?)住みました。学校を卒業出来るほど日本語を覚えることは出来ませんでした。もうその時から20年以上たちました。去年に入ってまたもう一度漢字を練習して日本語を思い出そうとしてます。とてもむずかしいです。私出来るほど英語を覚えようとしてる人を助けようとします。換わりに私の日本語治して下さい。よろしくお願いします。

始めまして → 初めまして or just はじめまして (wrong kanji, 始める is used for the verb when you begin something, 初めまして is used when you meet someone for the first time)
換わりに → 代わりに (wrong kanji)
治して → 直して (wrong kanji, 治す is used in the sense of treating/curing someone who is sick, 直す is used when you fix a mistake or something broken)
わ → は (the particle wa is always written with the hiragana for ha, it's still read as wa though. Confusing I know ><)

The verb 住む takes に, which is a bit strange, but it just is that way. Also, the proper inflection should probably be 住んでいました rather than 住みました.

Also as a small note. It's not wrong to write できる with kanji, but most people don't do it. I don't feel confident enough fixing parts that I think sound a bit unnatural, since I'm not a native speaker I'm not really sure if they actually are unnatural. But I'm pretty confident when it comes to syntax and proper spelling :P
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby NileCat » Fri 01.06.2012 12:29 pm

Welcome to TJP, Ema!

LordOfTheFlies wrote:Also as a small note. It's not wrong to write できる with kanji, but most people don't do it. I don't feel confident enough fixing parts that I think sound a bit unnatural, since I'm not a native speaker I'm not really sure if they actually are unnatural.

Grammar-wise, 出来るほど should be 出来るだけ (or 出来るかぎり) which means "as much as possible". 出来るほど doesn’t make sense here, I'm afraid.
The use of the kanji might give the readers a kind of stiff impression, but as LOTF said, it’s not wrong.
(I intentionally use it when I want to add some accent/nuance on my writings)

私はできるだけ英語を覚えようとしてる人を助けようとします is not necessarily wrong, however, it would sound more natural if you phrase it like:
私は英語を覚えようとしてる人を助けたい(助けよう)と思っています(思います)。
私は英語を覚えようとしてる人を、できるだけ助けたい(助けよう)と思っています(思います)。

I’d appreciate it if you kindly correct my English every now and then. :)

Ema wrote:Yoroshiku (I cannot think of an equivalent phrase in American English. Am I having a senior moment, or is there not one?)

That’s actually one of the problems which annoy many translators. (I usually make do with “thank you”) :D
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Introductions