Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anyone else try passive memorization?

Anyone else try passive memorization?

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Anyone else try passive memorization?

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 01.07.2012 2:23 am

Ok so I don't plan on taking JLPT 2 unless I change my mind but I use it as a progress check in my Japanese self study. So right now I'm working on going over the 4600 word list I found online for N2. What I've found is when I spend alot of time studying vocabulary, I tend to forget the words ecspecially with flash cards. So what I started doing is what I call "Passive memorization" Basically the idea is to expose yourself to vocabulary through sentences, lists, or stories in Japanese and go over the word a couple times. After that I really don't study it much anymore, and I found that my brain latches on to things I speak but don't pay much attention to. It's like subconcious memorization、Your brain retains it better because you don't give it time to absorb the information so it's forced to subconsciously retain it. There are many words I've written in a sentence and months later I'll read something in Japanese and there's the words I hardly even studied and I remember it alot better that words I drilled in my head.
it's kind of wierd I'm just wondering if anyone else studies JLPT Vocab this way. :neutral:
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Anyone else try passive memorization?

Postby Hiiro Yui » Tue 01.10.2012 2:36 am

I'm not planning to take the JPLT because my goal is to go straight for the top level of the kanji kentei, but what you describe doing seems similar to how I like to study. I pass my eyes over a huge amount of information in one sitting. The idea is that it goes into my short-term passive vocabulary. The more I go back over that information in subsequent sittings, the more likely it will enter my long-term passive vocabulary. This is how I learned the jouyou kanji. Most people would find this learning style boring, but I get a kick out of it and never burn out. The thing is, I can't turn this huge passive vocabulary into active vocabulary without actually talking in japanese, which I'm intentionally trying to avoid until I can reproduce the accent accurately.

The point is, I don't think you discovered anything new. The real question is, "do you enjoy studying that way?"

Don't let anyone talk you out of studying the way you enjoy because there are always trade-offs. People who use Remembering the Kanji will be very good at writing kanji straight from memory because they concentrate on it and put kanji readings off until later. People, like me, who learn kanji straight from kanji dictionaries will be good at kanji readings because they concentrate on it and put writing off until later. People who speak early and often will be more fluent because they concentrate on it and put proficiency off until later. People who rarely speak will be more proficient because they concentrate on it and put fluency off until later. By the time everyone rounds out their skills, the amount of study time might be the same. The thing is, many people stop studying intensively at some point before that because they are satisfied with their overall ability. These people sometimes tell people that are concentrating on the opposite skill that they are learning inefficiently, so beware.
Hiiro Yui

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test