Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "Rest in peace"

"Rest in peace"

Do you have a translation question?

"Rest in peace"

Postby kuri-chan » Thu 01.12.2012 1:35 pm

Hello everyone! I apologize if it's on the site somewhere and I've missed it, or if this is an improper question to ask, but I have been searching and searching, both here and around the internet and haven't had any luck with this. I'm trying to find a couple of Japanese phrases that specifically deal with someone having died. I was wanting to find "Rest in peace", but the sources I can find only say that in the Japanese culture they don't say Rest in peace...yet, nothing really tells me what they DO say.

Alternatively, I could use something along the lines of "we will meet again" or "until we meet again". The only thing I can find along those lines are phrases as if in regular conversation for saying goodbye. But they don't really seem suitable for this...as if you're speaking to the deceased loved one, "we'll see each other again one day" type sentiments. I find this a lot:

Japanese (Japan) [see you later] Dewa mata
Japanese (Japan) [see you later] Ata de, ne
Japanese (Japan) [see you later] Jaa, mata ashita

What would be a more proper way to convey the sentiment to a lost loved one than these? Or, the equivalent of "Rest in peace", which is so standard in America, and some other places. I'm at a loss.

I appreciate any help on this one!

Kurisu
kuri-chan

Native language: English

Re: "Rest in peace"

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Thu 01.12.2012 2:58 pm

A search of ALC comes up with,

ご冥福をお祈りします。
May your [his, her] soul rest in peace.

I also think that I've heard in dramas expressions involving 天国 and また会う, and さよなら doesn't have the problem of ではまた of course, but I'm not really firm on that sort of usage. I've never been part of a funeral or grave visit in Japanese.
SomeCallMeChris

Re: "Rest in peace"

Postby kuri-chan » Wed 01.18.2012 10:13 pm

Thank you Chris (I am also Chris) ;O)

I appreciate the reply...tho I never could find it until tonight!
kuri-chan

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion