Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese input alternative to Windows IME?

Japanese input alternative to Windows IME?

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

Japanese input alternative to Windows IME?

Postby kentaku_sama » Tue 01.17.2012 12:24 pm

The windows IME is annoying. Many times it guesses wrong and I have to sort through a bunch of random junk I don't want to type to get what I want. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an alternative for Japanese input on all software that works like the Ipod touch's japanese input. Where you can type an entire sentence and convert it all at once. I use windows vista currently. :D
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Japanese input alternative to Windows IME?

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 01.17.2012 12:31 pm

The two free IMEs that I'm aware of are the Google IME, which does a pretty good job of conversion, but I'm very unhappy with it's handwriting recognition, and the Baidu IME which I don't like as much most of the time but has great handwriting recognition.

Anyway, I'd give them both a try before you consider spending money, but the vast majority of Japanese apparently use one of the IMEs that costs money. Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of the popular paid IMEs at the moment. (I do recall there's really only one big one and one way-behind-them runner up, fwiw)
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby muttel » Thu 02.23.2012 6:23 am

I've tried Windows IME, google IME and ATOK. (I think this is what SomeCallMeChris is talking about).
Although it's rather expensive, ATOK does definitely the best job. I could say it's intellegent. I've long been using ATOK on my computer.

I think google IME is a good alternative---it's free and much better than Microsoft IME.
( As for me, I don't use handwriting recognition very much).
1. It has vast vocabulary. When it comes to technical terms, pop culture or internet slangs, sometimes it's better than ATOK.
2. Its suggestion works wonderful.
-a) but be careful : google IME sometimes suggests incorrect/generally unaccepted phrases.
3. Google IME works well because of its vocabulary, not its intelligence (this may sound strange or perhaps make no sense, but that's what I feel about it). Thus google IME sometimes makes wrong guesses in the way ATOK never would.

After all, ATOK is the best, but google IME is good enough in my opinion.
muttel

Native language: 日本語 (Kansai Dialect)

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 02.23.2012 9:48 am

related question: are there Japanese computers that come with ATOK built in? I'm curious because I'm going to buy a new computer in the not-too-distant future
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby muttel » Fri 02.24.2012 4:06 am

Ongakuka wrote:related question: are there Japanese computers that come with ATOK built in?

Unfortunately, I haven't seen such computers yet.
Many mobile phones sold in Japan have ATOK built in, by the way.
muttel

Native language: 日本語 (Kansai Dialect)

Postby Ongakuka » Fri 02.24.2012 9:19 am

Unfortunately, I haven't seen such computers yet.
Many mobile phones sold in Japan have ATOK built in, by the way.

I see! Thank you :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Return to Computers & Technology