Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - About primitive placement in RTK

About primitive placement in RTK

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

About primitive placement in RTK

Postby Suisei » Sun 01.22.2012 6:32 am

I'm kind of having trouble here about where to place the primitives in Kanji. I do know the parts but I keep writing it out wrong on paper. Are there any ways to do this? It may be difficult to say where to place things in stories , so...I'm not sure. Do you guys have any advice on this? :D
Suisei

Native language: English

Re: About primitive placement in RTK

Postby phreadom » Sun 01.22.2012 12:44 pm

I generally tried to get a feel for it in my stories.

For instance in one I kept drawing the soil primitive in the wrong place, so I slightly reworded it to "kicking soil on the computer" or something like that to remind me that it was next to it, not under it or over it... so I was kicking soil from the side (even though later they remind you to be careful about using words like "kicking" because it might confuse you about adding a primitive that doesn't belong... but it works for me so far).

Sometimes I have a little trouble, but usually I'll remember it without having to put it in the story at all... sometimes I have trouble and need to modify the story a bit (like for "stinking" 臭 , I kept drawing 自 under 大 instead of over it... so I used "nose on the stinking St. Bernard" or something to remind me that the "nose" went on top of the "St. Bernard")

Usually for the left/right positioning, I just get a feel for which is the "strong" primitive etc.

I'm only on #320 myself... so I can't exactly give much advice. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Suisei » Mon 01.23.2012 9:30 am

phreadom wrote:I generally tried to get a feel for it in my stories.

For instance in one I kept drawing the soil primitive in the wrong place, so I slightly reworded it to "kicking soil on the computer" or something like that to remind me that it was next to it, not under it or over it... so I was kicking soil from the side (even though later they remind you to be careful about using words like "kicking" because it might confuse you about adding a primitive that doesn't belong... but it works for me so far).

Sometimes I have a little trouble, but usually I'll remember it without having to put it in the story at all... sometimes I have trouble and need to modify the story a bit (like for "stinking" 臭 , I kept drawing 自 under 大 instead of over it... so I used "nose on the stinking St. Bernard" or something to remind me that the "nose" went on top of the "St. Bernard")

Usually for the left/right positioning, I just get a feel for which is the "strong" primitive etc.

I'm only on #320 myself... so I can't exactly give much advice. :sweatdrop:

Ah, I kind of understand. Maybe I should just put The X is over the X but that may be kind of hard to stick or something. :/ Maybe I should just brute force it or something. > <
Suisei

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.26.2012 9:14 am

Suisei wrote:Ah, I kind of understand. Maybe I should just put The X is over the X but that may be kind of hard to stick or something. :/ Maybe I should just brute force it or something. > <

Are you still having trouble? :think:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips